Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How to choose the right video card

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

Im new to these boards and have been enjoying reading the many interesting topics on here. im having some trouble myself. i need to know how to choose the right video card.
I have read probably 200 posts/reviews/magazine articles and im still completely confused on what to get. you can see my system spec that i have as of right now. ive been using my onboard video chipset on my new mobo until i can decide. Im will to spend up to $300 maybe more.

I am just going to be using this particular computer for gaming mostly. also im trying to figure out if i can just use my 32 inch lcd hd tv as my gaming lcd or if i have to buy another. my tv is a sony kdl-32l5000 its 60hz 1366 x 768 resolution. is this acceptable for gaming? if it is what would be he the best video card for this tv?

if not then im willing to buy a lcd monitor, ive been seen many deals like the one at tigerdirect a 23" hd lcd on sale for $150 down from $250 not bad!

also, is it better to get something like hd 4870 x2 in crossfire or just get a hd 5870? im really confused on what to get and i really want to start playing games like crysis on high settings. please help

my build
System (optional): AMD Phenom II X4 965
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 2GB (2x1)
ATI Radeon HD 3300 onboard mobo

Edited by frine, 10 December 2009 - 04:07 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Well first of all you should say how much money do you want to spend for graphic card?