Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc shutting off

• Please log in to reply

foolishnewb

foolishnewb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have a "home-built" pentium 4 duo core 6.4 ghz prossesor with a gigabyte motherboard and 500 gb hdd,
i was operating the system when it suddenly shut off, i tried to power it back up it immediately shut down again.i then uplugged the unit and cleaned the processor fan and cooling system. it was very dirty. i noticed the cooling system (sorry i have no idea what that piece of metal is really called) was hot enough to burn my hand, also noticed the prossesor was very hot, i do not know if this was hotter then normal as i have never checked the temp. by touching it. i then reinstalled the cooling system and fan and attempted to power the unit up again. the unit powered up long enough to show the windows loading screen then shut off again. i have tried several times since just to gather more information, if i leave the unit alone for an hr or more the unit will stay on for 30-45 seconds, (in any mode, or even in the bios screen) if after it shuts off i try to restart immediately it will stay on about 10 seconds, just long enough to turn on the video card, if i attempt it a 3rd time it shuts down at about 5 seconds.
i would like any incite on how to repair this problem, im not unwilling to buy new parts, but the system is 9 months old, i would like to replace only the part(s) that need replacing. i have no idea how to troubleshoot each component to find the bad piece of hardware.
thanks for taking the time to read this obsessively long message and thanks for any incite you may have into my problem

Advertisements