Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble getting wireless on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

waste

waste

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I bought a new laptop (Lenovo) with Windows 7. Still have an older Windows XP laptop. I have a wireless router (Trendnet). My XP machine is picking up the wireless just fine, but the Windows 7 keeps showing no internet access, even though it clearly sees the network and is connected to it. I think there was an issue at first that Windows 7 does not recommend WEP. However, it also noted that if I wanted to do WEP anyway to do so manually. I tried it, but it still doesn't work. It's obviously not my router or internet connection. Is there a way I can get the Windows 7 machine to work with the wireless as it is set up? I tried to do a bunch of changes to the router and all it did was screw up ALL internet access I had. The windows 7 machine was picking it up just fine yesteday, then today it stopped. It will have access sporadically for about 10 seconds and then drop.

Any help on how to solve this Windows 7 wireless issue would be appreciated -- and hopefully it will just be changes on the machine rather than the router, since my XP comp is working just fine with it.

Thanks.

Advertisements

barry3652

barry3652

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Have you tried copying the settings from the xp machine with windows 7 transfer wizard?
Run the wizard and select copy from another machine (using a flash drive), then put it in the machine with xp and run it again from the flash drive. once it's copied the fies back to win7 machine run again job should be done.