Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't not install Windows Updates - Keeps failing

• Please log in to reply

Dreier

Dreier

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am running Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3. Windows updates keeps telling me that I have updates to install but they always fail to install. There are now 5 of them. I have tried going directly to the Windows update website but that fails too.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Advertisements

Rinnie

Rinnie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I had the same issue ongoing, got up to 8 that it couldn't install. Then the next time it tried to install, I got BSOD bad_pool_caller error and now can't get XP to load at all, even in safe mode. Wish I could help... hey, if misery loves company... :)

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
This often happens if you use a leaked/copied Windows which fails to authenticate itself when logging in to the Windows Update website. May I ask about whether or not your Windows is purchased legally or copied/hacked?

Rinnie

Rinnie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm assuming you're directing that question to both myself and the original poster (Dreier). My copy of Windows XP came loaded from Alienware, as an OEM version when the laptop was purchased. I cannot imagine that a company like Alienware would be providing scammed OS... but if they were, the updates for the preceding 2 years would have been problematic, and they never were. How can I double-check?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your problem may be a malware problem that is stopping the updates.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Rinnie

Rinnie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Using my desktop, I have downloaded the stuff listed in the Malware removal instructions you pointed me to (thx)... but the problem is on the laptop, and I can't even get to a c: prompt, and can't get the OS to load. So I can't run anything. Whether I choose Safe Mode or Last Known Good Cfg, doesn't matter -- sometimes I can get the Win splash screen, but most of the time it BSODs before I even get the splash screen, and then within like a second (maybe less) of the BSOD, it automatically reboots. Nasty. (I described the BSOD in greater detail under my other post about bad_pool_caller.)

Now what?

Rinnie

Rinnie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
oops wrong forum