Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

helpctr.exe problem

• Please log in to reply

gringo

gringo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a HP 5375. Anytime you try to open a program, hundreds of HelpCtr.exe processes open at the same time and bog the computer down to not operating.

I have already performed Quickrestore with the disks provided by HP. I have added nothing since. Currently it cannot even access the internet as I haven't put in the phone number.

Even after the Quickrestore which supposedly returns the computer to the factory state, it does the same thing.

Also, when you turn on the machine, after you see the "HP" screen where you press F2 to access set up, it goes to a blank screen, beeps and displays a cursor in the upper left corner until you press escape. After pressing escape it stops beeping and continues to windows xp.

Any help would be appreciated. (unfortunately I cannot load Hijack This or any registry analizer as they didn't come with the factory software and the machine bogs down with helpctr.exe processes as soon as you try to load a program with a disk.)

One last thing. When you turn the machine on and get past pressing the escape key to get into windows xp (home ed), the welcome screen appears and then your desk top. Once the desk top is up, if you do nothing else at that moment but open the Task Mgr, it will only show 27 processes operating with minimal cpu usage. It is after this, if you take any action (click on a program or control panel or something) or if you wait too long, then the Helpctr.exe processes start opening. In task manager processes will jump from 27 to 90 to 200, etc. I've even seen 600. If you try to close them you eventually get an error message which says: Microsoft Visual C ++ runtime library, runtime error program C:\PCHeath\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe abnormal program termination. Or will say application failed to initialize properly, helpctr.exe.

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

gringo

gringo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the offer to help. Hijack is on the machine but no program can currently be opened.

Both BIOS and systems disks were reloaded and the machine continued to malfunction in the same fashion. It is thus being returned to the vendor for a hardware check. Thanks again