Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

First Build--Need Help

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am building a computer; I have everything connected up and it posts fine. I was trying to install Windows 7 but I get the following messages:

Detecting drives; Done; No drives found

Then on the next screen:

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key

When I enter BIOS, both the HDD and DVD are listed. I have set it to boot from the DVD.

Here is my hardware configuration:

Asus P7P55D LE mobo

i5 Quad Core 750 LGA 1156

4 gigs Corsair XMS3 ram

Antec 650w power supply

HP DVD 1270i

Western Digital Caviar Green HDD 1T

HP 2509 25" LCD

Both the DVD and the HDD are SATA and I have them in the first 2 SATA ports.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and would appreciate help. I have sunk quite a bit of money into this system and am getting rather frustrated. They are all new components; I know there must be a way to get this working, I just don't know how.

Thanks in advance,

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've never built my own computer, yet, however I have changed out hdd and etc.

A couple of things. Make sure that Windows 7 isn't the upgrade version. This may be the problem. Make sure all connections are connectly properly. DVD drive to motherboard, to psu, etc. Check the bios again and verify that it is booting from the dvd drive first. Uncheck the hdd and force it to boot only from the dvd drive. Check the forums for your motherboard?

All common things but I know in the past I've rushed trying to get things together because I couldn't wait for the final product. I hope something helps. If not I'm sorry. I'm not an IT Tech. Just thought I'd offer some suggestions.