Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Laptop, can't run XP setup

• Please log in to reply

mikell808

mikell808

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
The title describes my issue, I have tried to run several versions of XP and each gets to the point of saying "Staring Windows" but it never gets to the next screen. I tried loading windows 7 and it got a blue screen with an error code. My conclusion is that the Ram is ok as it doesn't crash while loading files it crashed when it tries to run the program. Just for kicks I ran memtest 4.0 with no errors. I would like to confirm my theory but need a dos based Processor tester that I can use. Any suggestions.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused by a board issue, which I would say is the case as it's done it on two different operating systems.
Presumably you've replaced everything you can save for the board and the error still occurs? If so, board failure.

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Managed to find a site last night that had something called the ultimate boot disk with hundreds of self booting programs. Been running one all nite called CPU Burn. So far no errors. I am inclined to believe you are correct.