Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen goes gray after a few seconds. Have to reload page to view it.

• Please log in to reply

rainbo

rainbo

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi! I'm currently running Firefox on a dual boot system. I have Windows Vista and Windows XP. I'm unsure if this problem is happening on both systems. I actually haven't thought about XP until just this very moment. Anyway, what happens is that after a few seconds of inactivity on SOME pages, the screen goes gray and I have to hit reload. Once I hit reload there is not a problem. The page immediately comes right back up. It's just very annoying. It just started happening a few days ago. I can't think of anything that is different that would make me think there's virus activity or anything. Does anyone know that this might be, and more importantly, how to remedy it?

Here is a pic of a screencap so you can see what I see.
4b23e438.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
My my.. some chocolate chip cookies would be delicious right now.

I doubt the problem would be happening on XP but you can test it out. Any new add-ons installed recently into your Firefox browser? See if it happens in Firefox safe mode, with no add-ons running.

To start Mozilla Firefox in Safe Mode:

In Windows, click Start, open the All Programs list, and navigate to the Mozilla Firefox folder. In the Mozilla Firefox folder, select Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).

If the problem continues, we can try something else. If it stops, we can generally assume it is attributed to a wrong functioning add-on.

Open Firefox in Normal mode.
Click Tools > Add-ons.
Choose Find Updates.
If any updates are installed, restart Firefox and see if the problem continues.

If the problem continues, or there are no updates to be installed, disable all of your add-ons, by left clicking each one and choosing disable.
Start to Enable each one, and see when the problem starts again.
If you can find the malfunctioning add-on, either disable and uninstall it permanently- or, if it is something you need, uninstall it, and re-install it. This should hopefully fix your problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report back with your results, even if you fix the problem, please.

I'd like to know:

If this happens in XP as well?
What happened in Firefox SafeMode?
Any new add-ons?
Results of add-on (tampering) :) ?

Best Regards,
Jason