Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got a major infection, cleaned it but computer will not boot right now

• Please log in to reply

jobo

jobo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Somehow I got a major infection of about 7 or so trojan/viruses. I have Avira antivir running. The virus that got past is the BS one where it loads bogus AV software, flags that you are infected, click here to run antivirus. I am sure it loaded other bs with it.

I knew better than to click here hehe.

I used universal boot cd 4 windows to clean up the virus, as the pc would not boot right after I shut it down. It did boot up after I cleaned it, then I ran Trend Micro housecall + Avira + malwarebytes + hijack this again once I was at desktop and all found nothing.

However, a day later, the same bs came back again, so obviously something was missed. I again used the cd to boot into virtual windows and clean it up. I think everything is gone now BUT now the computer will hang at

gagp30kx.sys

on bootup. The message is Stop 0x7B

I did run chkdsk /f/r 2 times to fix any errors.

I also went in manually and did system restore by replacing sam,software,default (other 2 I cannot remember right now) in Windows/current../config. I renamed the old ones so they are still there just in case. This did not work either. The computer still hangs at gagp30kx.sys on boot.

I know 100% the hd is not bad, I can access with no problem from the universal boot windows, copy files, create files, etc. I did hd test, came out fine. So obviously I am missing something which is preventing it from booting up.

I am looking for something I did not do or anything that will allow this computer to boot. Since I know the hd is ok and all data there, I really refuse to give up on it as I am sure its nothing big. Its possible there is still some kind of root kit on it, but I went through files in c:/ and c:/windows and system 32 with a fine tooth comb, looking at creation dates and looking up anything I did not recognize on google to make sure there was not any BS sitting there to reinfect. Of course I realize there still might be, but I need the computer to boot to find out.

Thanks in advance for any help

Chris

Edited by jobo, 13 December 2009 - 12:07 AM.

Advertisements