Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong Windows XP Product Key

• Please log in to reply

eightiswild

eightiswild

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Compaq Presario V5000 notebook which came pre-installed with Windows XP Home Edition. I recently gave the notebook to a family member after buying a newer HP laptop, and I used a restore disk to reset it to it's factory settings. Everything seemed to be fine until I was prompted to activate Windows and received an error message saying the product key was wrong. The sticker on my computer where the product key is written is faded to the point where I can no longer read it. I've tried a couple of key retrieval programs, but they give me the same invalid key. Is there anything I can do, short of buying a new copy of Windows?

Advertisements