Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need better cooling

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey guys,

Just wanted some second opinions, summer has been rather hot so far and the computer runs a bit warm. My 8800GT (G92) idles on 80-85C and the northbridge chipset is about 50C. I'm thinking a better case for some better airflow, and also an aftermarket cooler for the 8800GT.

I've been doing a fair bit of research into pricing at my suppliers for parts, the best I can come up with so far is the Antec 902 for the case, and the Xigmatek BattleAxe VD964.

Any particular reasons not to go with either of these parts? Any similar products known to be better performers? In particular I don't really follow the graphics aftermarket cooling scene.

Cheers

Troy

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
It looks good Antec have good comp cases and the cooling should be good too.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Thanks mate, do you have any experience with aftermarket graphics coolers yourself?

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
This one is very good and quiet too SCYTHE Musashi SCVMS-1000 on 8800 temp are around 35C-40C my recommendation would be this one if you can find it in stores!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That doesn't look too bad at all, dual fan controllers is pretty fancy! I can't see it in Australia at all... :)

Unfortunately I got hit with a few big bills recently so I'm going to have to put a hold on these upgrades and just keep the computer off during the hottest parts of the day... Such is life.