Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Netbook Trouble...

• Please log in to reply

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Hello all,

Short story, my brother-in-law bought my neice a netbook for christmas. When it arrived my mother turned it on but couldnt get the internet to work. She had me take a look at it and I immediate noticed quite a few problems.

Unfortunately I couldnt figure out what was going on so I came to these forums because they have always helped me.

Here's what's happening. When I open the Device Manager, it is completely blank. Next I looked for a recovery program. I found one, and when I clicked on restore, it gave me three options. The first was "Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults." Naturally I thought if the factory defaults were replaced it would help. But when I click on that choice I got a message. "Hard Drive Configuration is not set to the factory default. Restore Aborted."

So my next attempt was to restore the system using a system restore. I "rewined" the clock back to Oct. 29 2009. That was the only restore point on the system. After a few reboots, the device manager is still blank and much of the system still doesn't want to cooperate. I plugged my ethernet cord into it, to try and download some drivers from the net. The computer wouldn't even recognize that there was an internet connection. When I plugged my empty flash drive into the USB port on the netbook, in the My Computer folder, it came up as Other: Local Disk D, with a giant question mark. When I tried to open it I got an error that read:

D:\refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

Im tottally clueless about what to do next. So I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I just thought with my limited knowledge of computers that it would have something to do with the operating system. I know what a virus looks like and this just doesnt seem like it's a virus. Hope you guys can help me set this up for my neice she's really going to love it. If you guys need to know anything from me, I will be checking this post throughout the day from my phone. And I can provide constant updates. Thanks in advance.

Here are the specs on the system:
Model/Number: Acer Aspire One D150-1150
Processor Clock Speed: 1.6G
Processor Model: Intel Atom N270
Mainboard / Chipset Type: Intel 945GSE+ICH7M
1GB of RAM
Max Resolution 1024X600
Display Technology WXGA Screen (1366X768) LED Backlight
Intel GMA900 Graphics
160GB Hard Drive
PCMCIA Expansion MMC/ SD(SDHC)
802.11b/g

Edited by FutureWoWplayer, 13 December 2009 - 06:46 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome back to the forums.

If it does have a recovery partition, it is usually a D or E drive.
Does windows explorer show anything?

Task manager should not be blank (as you know).

There are too many things that you have found wrong. I would take it back to the store.

Plain and simple...It is under warranty.

123runner

kurt uk

kurt uk

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi mate,this model has a hidden partion of 6gb on ur hard drive,give this a go and let me know how u got on
go to bios by pressing f2 on boot,
go to main and enable d2d recovery,
exit bios and save changes.the system will reboot.

restart system:-while the acer logo is showing press alt+f10 at the same time to enter the recovery process.
perform on-screen instructions for system recovery.
peace,
kurt uk

kurt uk

kurt uk

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
nott 100% sure if this will work on this acer but i know it works on ao531h,fingers crossed for ya

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Thanks so much guys. Im trying what Kurt posted at the moment.

@123runner: I asked my mother and my sister if he sent the recipet so we could take it back, and there both looking for it now. But they havent found anything. I told them there were alot of problems and that they may need to take it back. But hopefully I can get it fixed first using Kurt's way.

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Just an update, the restore process is under way. Currently Im trying to restore it to factory default settings. Hopefully that will work. I'll keep you guys posted.

kurt uk

kurt uk

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
excellent

kurt uk

kurt uk

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
is the d2d recovery working ?

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Yes, the recovery is working great. I was able to restore the netbook to factory default settings. After a few reboots it seemed to be working fine.

Now that I am able to connect to the internet with it (the netbook), Im going to try and update all the drivers and get the computer running smooth. You wouldnt happen to know a good website to update the drivers from would you? Or possible a link that gives step by step of how to speed up the computer. If not thats cool.

Thanks for the help in advance, and for helping me get that restored for my niece. She is going to love it and I owe Geekstogo another huge favor.

kurt uk

kurt uk

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
wicked glad to be of service squire(anytime)
any staff members lke to help out with the drivers?

Advertisements

kurt uk

kurt uk

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
u could just click update drivers from windows,it always works ok for me

kurt uk

kurt uk

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
by the way the comp should be running prety fast after recovery,u should be ok with that(it is afterall a complete restore ;-)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Now that I am able to connect to the internet with it (the netbook), Im going to try and update all the drivers and get the computer running smooth. You wouldnt happen to know a good website to update the drivers from would you? Or possible a link that gives step by step of how to speed up the computer.

Best site is the manufacturer's site under Support. Also, look in Start>Programs and see if they have the manufacturer's utility that you can run which checks your computer's health and any updates you need.

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I've finally got all the drivers updated and everything else that needed an update. Thanks Kurt and Major Payne for the help. As always it is much appreciated.

kurt uk

kurt uk

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
no probs glad to be of service