Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Of Death On Startup

• Please log in to reply

Bravo2red

Bravo2red

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

Ref. IBM ThinkPad T30 running Windows XP Pro.

I've got a problem with my computer. When the computer is turned on the blue screen of death appears with the code 0x00000024. This occurs every time the computer is turned on, even when selecting safe mode. After the blue screen has appeared the computer then tries to restart unsuccessfully. Any ideas?

I heard something about loading a boot disk, Would this work? I also have a Windows XP Pro disk although not the one that came with the computer.

My main priority is to retain the data and programs that were on the PC before this happened, even if that means sacrificing the OS.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

Advertisements

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Click HERE for more information on your problem. It is a link to the Microsoft support page. To recover lost files I like to use Ubuntu or Puppy both of which allow you to create, what is known as a Live CD. A live CD allows you to boot up your system using a CD. You can save data to an External Hard Drive once you have booted up.

A Live CD is easy to create just download the Image of either Puppy or Ubuntu and then burn the iso to a disk using the burn image option.

When you boot up make sure that what ever device you want to save to is hooked to the laptop prior to booting up.

You should be able to back up your data from either Puppy or Ubuntu. Puppy was designed to use less resources and ubuntu has a better graphical feel to it. I suggest Ubuntu if your Laptop can support it.

Edited by Placid Storm, 13 December 2009 - 10:33 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Bravo2red and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Do you have a valid XP CD? We can see if there are any corrupted system files.

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

123runner

Bravo2red

Bravo2red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Turns out I can't find the disk.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts