Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent and slow connection

• Please log in to reply

vimes

vimes

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have a wireless router d-link dsl2640r and ever since I installed it, my internet connection has been very slow and also after a random period of time my connection disappears and the computer can't even find the router. I have had sky hd put in recently too which possibly has affected it. Also since I changed router, the ps3 has not been able to find my network using windows media server. Since that happened I changed to tversity and it can find that. I would very much appreciate it if anyone can help me with this.

Advertisements

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
It sounds to me like you have signal interference, if both wireless routers are having the same problem. If there is anything sitting next to it that uses a lot of electricity, it could be causing EMP Interference. A good way to tell if it uses a lot of Electricity is either the sticker on the back near the power cord, look for how many watts it uses. Your standard light bulb is no more than 100 watts. Or if it produces a lot of heat, Plasma TV is a really good example, I really can't think of anything other than signal interference that would cause you to lose connection randomly and have a slow connection.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I would thinjk that myself but hte thing is that the router still shows that it is geting a signal and my ps3 is still picking up the signal from it and able to connect. The computer though cannot find the router at all and the computer is in a room about five foot away from the router although it is in another room and putting a cable to it would mean crossing the room halfway along it. The computer is in a room with nothing else in it that uses electricity. Also if I restart the computer it then finds the router again straight away.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Also if I restart the computer it then finds the router again straight away.

Sounds like the PC is dropping the connection and it's not a problem with the router. The next time your connection is dropped go to Start -> Run and type command and hit enter. Once the command prompt appears type the following:

ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt

Notice the space after ipconfig, and then a space before and after the > symbol. This will create a text file on the C drive with your connection status. Go ahead and copy and paste the results into a post. After you do that, type the following at the command prompt one at a time, hitting enter after each line.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

This will release your ip address and then request a new address from the router. Let us know how you make out.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 14 December 2009 - 08:41 AM.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thank you, will try that. Although yesterday uninstalled aol because it has been a bit of a pain recently and my internet has been going faster and I have not been disconnected yet so heres hoping. Will keep you posted if any changres ocvcur though thanks.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
sorry for the late reply but I haven't been home for a while. Just tried to do the ip config thing on the cmd prompt but cannot because it says access denied. Is there any way round this. I~ use windows vista.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Running Vista makes a little bit of difference. I was assuming it was an XP as listed in your profile. With Vista, you haveto right click on the command prompt and choose "Run as Administrator". Then enter the commands above.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok thanks, have done that, will keep you posted on how this works out thanks. also though since I last posted my internet went off completely and I had to reset the adapter. This has now stopped my playstation from finding a media server and also it is struggling to find the playstation network, do you have any advice on how to fix this? Thanks for the help.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
computer is still dropping connection. When it happens the internet light on the router turns red also, not sure why this is. Also my ps3 still can't find the media server on my computer, I am using tversity and was using windows media player but it lost that before so had to switch to tversity. Not sure what is going on.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

When it happens the internet light on the router turns red also, not sure why this is.

So a hard reset on the router and everything starts working again? Have you looked into a firmware update for your modem / router?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Call ISP and ask them to do a signal strength test and or line noise test.
They may have to have a tech come out to do the latter.

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 January 2010 - 07:21 PM.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
having difficulty upgrading firmware on my router

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok no problem, I will wait till you have that done.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok can't get the firmware update off of the website but noticed something strange tonight. When the internet goes down my normal connection disappears and is replaced with one saying ltd connectivity this even when I wire the connection. Also turned the router off then on again ten seconds later and I could then get back on to the router page. This says that internet Dsl(sync) and wireless is connected. The computer is still on ltd connectivity though

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you do as I instructed in post 11 above? This could be a signal problem and if not then the wireless adapter and\or the router may be the issue. ISP can verify everything up to the router for you.