Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent and slow connection

• Please log in to reply

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just phoned aol and they said that they did a line noise test and signal strength test and everythig was fine. They then told me to change the channel the router was working on. Hopefully this will work but I am doubtful. Will keep you posted on any changes.

Advertisements

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
anyone got any other ideas to why this is happening

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How old is the router you are using and is it supplied to you by your ISP?
Have you tried unplugging the router completely from the internet and power for 10 minutes. Then reconnect and see if it clears everything?
Limited or No Connectivity go here and try the suggestion at the beginning to see if it helps. If not post back and we can continue on.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 February 2010 - 04:25 AM.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanks for the help but finally got so annoyed with the thing that I bought a really long cable and wired it through the loft and the walls, had to cut a patch in one of the walls but since I did it the connection has been perfect and I am no longer annoyed at my computer. Thanks to everyone who helped with this topic but I just couldn't handle the disconnections anymore.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you ran a new ethernet cable to the router from your system?

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
yeah, not sure if the problem was my wireless card, router or somesort of interference, but since I ran the cable it has been much better.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh well now I am really stumped. The computer is wired, the lights on the router are all on, the routers home page says internet DSL and wireless are all on. The light asying that the computer is wired to the router is on, but the computer loses the router and the internet connection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds to me like either the router is failing or your nic on your computer is failing.
I suggest first step is contact your ISP and have them run a line test on your internet including a noise test.
Ask them to check the router itself from their side and see what they can find out. If they say everything checks out on their end (and normally they will) then you would have to look at the nic card in your system.