Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP re installation

• Please log in to reply

dirt316

dirt316

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My computer will not recognize my Windows XP. When I turn it on the black screen comes up giving me the option to start in safe mode, go to last start up when it worked properly, start in safe mode with networking, etc. I was told boot the computer from the XP disc in the drive. I tried once and was able to re install XP, but I was unable to do it at that time so I tried again later. Now, it seems it will not read from the disc drive when I try to start up. I even installed a new drive. It is not the cd because it opens fine in my laptop. Thanks.

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
After you have powered on the PC, is there an option which says something along the lines of (Press F10 to choose boot device). Try pressing that F key and then see if it boots from it then. If it doesn't, or that optin isn't available, double check in the BIOS that the CD/DVD is first in the boot order.

dirt316

dirt316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Whenever I turn on computer, whether cd is in drive or not, that same black screen comes up. I can not check or change any settings, because it keeps trying to reboot and goes back to the same screen. From that screen it takes a while, the Windows XP logo comes up, a blue screen flashes, then it ends up at the black screen again (giving me the options to restart from last succesful location, in safe mode, etc.)

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
You should usually see on the screen, right after you press the power button, the PC's manufacturer logo come up (Dell, HP etc), or the logo of the Motherboard's manufacturer come up. This is where hopefully you can see what Button it says to press to go into the BIOS or to choose a boot device.

What is the brand of PC you have?

dirt316

dirt316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Compaq, and it comes up when computer is turned on. Then it goes to the black screen that says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully...." The options to choose from are

Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking, Safe Mode with command prompt, Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked), Start Windows normally.

Whichever one I choose, it ends up trying to start but then the Compaq logo comes up again, and the same thing happens.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Most Compaq's should boot into BIOS by pressing the F1 key.

Make sure the PC is not on. Press the power button then immediately start tapping the F1 key on your keyboard. This should then take you into the BIOS. Do not change any other setting other than the one below.

Once in the BIOS, use the arrow keys to select "BOOT" on the menu running along the top.
Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT Device Priority (or similar)... you need to make sure the first/top boot device is set to the CD/DVD/Optical Drive.
After doing that press F10 to Save changes and see if the PC will now boot from the CD.

If you are unsure of anything just say.

dirt316

dirt316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hitting F1 did not do anything. It just went to the same screen.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
OK, try the F10 key instead, hopefully that should do it. Remember to immediately start tapping it after powering on the PC.

dirt316

dirt316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I got to the BIOS screen. The Boot Order is ATAPI CD-ROM Drive, +Hard Drive, +Removeable Devices, Network Boot. There are 2 CD drives connected: one is a DVD drive which is the one I have been using the other is a CD Drive. I have tried both, but the CD drive never has any lights come on. Yhis is why I keep trying the DVD drive. Nothing maked any noises either except for the 3 1/2 in. floppy drive, just before going to the only screen I can get to.

Edited by dirt316, 13 December 2009 - 10:55 AM.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Boot order is fine then. Try unplugging the CD Drives cables, leaving the DVD drive connected. Then make sure the disc is in the DVD Drive and switch on the PC again.

dirt316

dirt316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried that and still the same thing. It seems it is just not reading the disc drive.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Do you have any other 'bootable' CD's, e.g Windows Discs, BartPE, Recovery Discs etc

Just see if you can boot from another disc. By the sounds of it, the disc you are using is fine as it works in another machine, but we need to double check that the PC will boot from a disc.

dirt316

dirt316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The only other discs I have are music cds, games, picture cds, and Microsoft Office and some other software cds. I tried the Office disc previouly and the same thing was happening.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
OK, none of those other discs you have will boot. What I want you to try now is resetting the BIOS. Then make sure the CD is in and see if it will boot from it.

To reset the BIOS:

Posted Image

If this doesn't work, can you post back with what devices it lists on the first screen in the BIOS. Depending on which version you have, it should look like either one of the pictures below:

Posted Image

So for example the screen above, shows two devices, TSSTCorp CDW/D and Samsung HD160J

Posted Image

This one shows Samsung SP2004C.

Just let me know what devices it shows on yours

dirt316

dirt316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I finally was able to get back to trying to fix this computer. Your last suggeswtion did not work. Below is what is listed on the Main page in BIOS:

Time
Date

Legacy Diskette A: [1.44/1.25 MB 3 1/2]
Legacy Diskette B: [Disabled]

Primary Master: [Maxtor 6E040L0-(PM)]
Primary Slave: [None]
Secondary Master: [COMPAQ DVD-ROM SD 608-(SM)]
Secondary Slave: [R/RW 4x4x24- (SS)]

System Memory: 640 KB
Extended Memory: 523264 KB

Language: English