Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 BSOD with Sata Drives Attached

• Please log in to reply

rygetz

rygetz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently upgraded my machine to Windows 7 Ultimate. I was running XP so I did a fresh install. I decided to upgrade my primary hard drive for this installed. My setup is below:

On a Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 motherboard.
2gb ram (2x 512mb)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

IDE Primary Master: New Western Digital 500gb HD. - Confirmed this is set to first hard drive in the boot sequence.
IDE Primary Slave: DVDRW Drive
IDE Secondary Master: Seagate 500gb HD
IDE Secondary Slave: Maxtor 300gb HD

--- Now, At this point, I can boot into Windows 7 fine and everything works just as it should. No issues at all. However, when I plug either or both of my SATA drives in, Windows fails to load with a BSOD complaining of a hardware problem.

SATA 1 - WD 400gb SATA HD
SATA 2 - WD 1tb SATA HD

When EITHER or BOTH sata drives are plugged in... Windows 7 fails to load. I get a blue screen of death complaining of hardware issues. These drives have data on them from my previous install but I don't see why that would matter.

It seems as though using the SATA controller would be the cause, since either drive will crash it. I have the chipset drivers from my mother board installed. However, I am not 100% of their compatibility with Windows 7. Does anyone have any recommendations?? My BIOs sees the SATA drives fine and they are the last on the boot list of HDs.

After failing to boot into Windows 7 with the drives attached, I always power down and unplug them. The next time I boot with the sata drives unplugged, Windows needs to repair itself. It restores Windows from a restore point (I lose all data since that restore point) and after the repair, it boots fine.

Some things I'd be happy to try if you think they'd narrow down the cause/solution:

I have a brand new 1.5 TB SATA Drive I could try attaching.
I have a PCI host card with 6 SATA Slots I could install and move all the drives to that as opposed to the SATA slots on the mother board.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated as I am currently stumped.

Advertisements