Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System errors after Windows XP repair install

• Please log in to reply

moonwatcher99

moonwatcher99

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently attempted a repair install of Windows, to correct a blue screen error involving the Winlogon process. I followed the directions given in the master post on this site. My BIOS are set to boot from CD. The installation followed the descriptions up to the actual installation, after which the process changed from the directions. It did not ask for my key, and after attempting to boot from the CD again, it gave me the XP startup screen (A black screen with the XP logo), with a please wait message. It stayed that way for over an hour, after which my husband shut down the power and restarted. Also, the firewall was not turned off, when the directions indicated it would have to be reactivated. All our data and files are intact, but there are errors. The computer will not shut down, instead it restarts. I am unable to click on Windows updates or the Windows troubleshooting files. Clicking on the updates link in the control panel gives me an error message. 'The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.' Did I perhaps miss a step in the repair install? Or will I have to perform a full clean install?

Advertisements