Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLACK SCREEN

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
My Panasonic Let's Note CF-W5 laptop is about 3 years old. Very recently, the screen went near completely black on me. I can barely -- but just -- see the icons. For the past couple of weeks, I noticed some flickering happening on occasion. Today, while using it, the screen went dark. Then, after re-booting, it came back moentarily and went black again. Now, it is just black everytime I re-boot.

I have a limited warranty remaining. The exact same thing happened to my Toshiba laptop a couple of years ago and I use it connected to a monitor as a desktop.

What is the problem and is this going to be an expensive repair job? Depending on the estimate, may I need a new laptop?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I had the same thing happen a couple months ago and it turned out that the back light for the screen died. I have no idea what the replacement cost would be, since mine was still under warranty. It is odd that after reboot it was fine for a couple minutes.

capper

capper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks for the reply. Amazingly, the screen comes on and then goes black intermittently. Still. We spoke to the Panasonic service center today. They said it is either (1) LCG (which would cost over $700 to repair) or (2) the inverter board (which would costs about $250-$350 to repair). I would love to avoid the costs involved with having it checked in the event that it is the former. Any advice?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Honestly, no I'm at a loss. I really don't know a lot about LCD repair, only what I've run into in the past. I have seen damaged laptops on eBay that can be bought with a working screen. Typically you can replace the screen yourself if you take your time. It's normally a couple screws, plastic clips and a ribbon cable or two.

But you'll want to make sure that the LCG and inverter board are in the screen assembly so they get replaced at the same time.