Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HDD errors

• Please log in to reply

dev_765

dev_765

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there. Got a bit of a new hardware problem with my desktop.
Recently lost my HDD along with all my music, movies, photos etc.

I bought A new HDD and fitted it myself (its a Seagate 3.5" IDE) Im not particularly techie, but managed to do this ok I think.
I then set about replacing all my lost data so got down to some heavy downloading.

I also had around 20gig of music on my I-River which I wanted to transfer to my HDD.
The first few folders copied over no problem but then I started to get the following errors.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Cannot copy the path is too deep.

As I said I am no techie whatsoever, there are two things that I can think of that may be a problem.

When I done a fresh Windows install on my new HDD, I made the partition wrong and ended up with a 10gig HDD and 70gig of unallocated space.
I tried to fix this and now have the small 10 gig drive which has all My Documents, Program Files etc and a seperate e:drive with my other 70 gig
which I have been using for storing all music files etc. Could this be causing any problems.

Also when installing Windows I opted for FAT32 instead of NTFS, I wasn't really sure what I was doing at this point
as I had nothing to reference.

If anyone can help I'd be so grateful.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Cyclic Redundancy errors are usually caused because the drive you're copying from is on the way out. This error is very common with scratched CDs but it comes back to the basic principle that the disk is unreadable.