Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Acting Real Slow [Possibly HDD Problem?]

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I just recently arrived in my country to spend the holidays with my family. They had been telling me about their pc moving slowly for quite some time. I tested it out and well yes everything is taking ages to load, even simple pictures in the Windows Xp viewer takes about 8 seconds to show. Loading Firefox is the same thing... It takes about 15 seconds for it to get to load. Iīm familiar with their pc and this isīnt how it used to be. They have a Intel Celeron D 2.53ghz Processor with 760mb of ram. There is no way this pc can be this slow. I know this pc fairly well. Itīs better than my pc... So I know it should act faster...

I checked the smart staus of the hdd through Everest and everything seems to be fine with all values passing. I checked to see how many running processes are and itīs the usual 36 or 38 that most pcs have when you turn it on. I checked the registry and the startup entries and everything seems to be in order with no surprises. Iīve also scanned the pc for malware, greyware, spyware, adaware, and virus but there is nothing wrong.

Iīm very savvy about computers, and I canīt seem to sum it down to the problem. I really believe its the hard drive... Itīs got to be... What do you guys think?

Things are expensive in this country so if I buy some new parts for it I have to be sure. Itīs not like back home in the states where pc parts will cost you a dime.

Please help itīs for my parents pc and this is our only means of communication when I get back home since we chat on msn and talk through webcam.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I know this is going to sound stupid, but have you checked to be sure they didn't compress the drive? I had a person call me a couple weeks ago wanting to know why their PC started running very slowly. I just figured it was littered with garbage and malware. It turns out they ran the disk cleanup utility and compressed the entire HDD. You'll know because the file names will be in blue when you open Windows Explorer.

Another thing you can check is the Task Manager and look for something eating up all the CPU time. You can also click on the Performance tab and see how much system memory is being used by the system. I would also look through the Event Manager and see if there is anything out of the ordinary. I've seen them before where they'll run slow because the system is just sitting there cranking out errors. You can find the Event Manager by typing eventvwr.msc in the Run Box.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thanks a lot friend after all of your suggestions I as able to determine that the problem at hand wasn't hardware related at all. Windows XP was basically damaged... I had to reinstall everything from scratch using the restoration partition of their hard drive.

Thanks a lot all is well now... Minus the fact that I've spend over a day reinstalling everything from scratch.

chanchalseo

chanchalseo

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think you can also try a system restore if you have XP. If you have no restore points earlier than today you have a virus! If you do have past restore points pick one and do a system restore!

Good bye.

--------------------

Edited by sari, 03 March 2010 - 07:18 AM.
Removed spam link