Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange problem with laptop keyboard Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ515G

• Please log in to reply

lezperez

lezperez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone as the title says I have a strange problem with the keyboard on a Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ515G laptop.

When I switch the laptop on I can enter the BIOS, move about change settings etc. I can boot into DOS or the Ultimate Boot CD and the keyboard works just fine.

The problem is when Windows XP starts. The keyboard doesn't work at all :) ! As the desktop appears if I repeatedly press the window key, the start menu pops up but after a certain point, usually when icons start appearing in the taskbar, it just stops working.

My first thought was a driver issue, so I checked the Vaio support website and downloaded the original drivers pack for the model, but it does not contain any drivers for the keyboard. I checked device manager which reports everything as working. I uninstalled the keyboard driver and rebooted and still nothing.

I've opened up the laptop and checked the ribbon cable and the connector and they seem fine.

I've tried re-installing XP, and the DOS based portion of the installation runs fine, but once the Windows based part loads up, I can't enter a user name so cannot complete the setup.

So I am now at a complete loss of what to try next and I am hoping someone with greater knowledge than myself can help me out!

Thanks in advance

Advertisements