Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphical and PC issue

• Please log in to reply

Daknel

Daknel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Lately my PC has been acting very oddly. The first problem I noticed was I'd randomly get this weird blot-like color thing on my screen in the middle of playing a high graphical game. It would totally freeze up my PC and I have to turn it off and back on and it'd be fine for awhile till it decided to do it again.

The next problem is started having was instead of doing the blot thing it will just shut off completely without warning. It's been doing this for a few days now and sometimes I will push the power button and it wont even turn on. The only thing that turns on it the case fans and the LED lights. No Video card fan, no Processor fan. nothing..

I took my PC to a friend and he took a look at it and said it might be my video card since it normlly choked up when i was playing a game, so I wnet and bought me a brand new video card. It was fine for a day and now its back to doing the same things again, shutitng off and the color blot on the screen, I dont know whats going on so maybe one of you might have some advice?

THANKS! :)

Advertisements

JennyS

JennyS

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
It definitely sounds like a problem with your fans.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,890 posts
Which comes first, the blot or the shutting down?

Just like JennyS said, the fans probably stop working properly due to dirt causing the system (CPU) to overheat and shut down.

The blot that appears immediately after shutting down might be cause of the monitor nearing the end of its life. :)

Edited by Salagubang, 17 December 2009 - 12:26 AM.

Daknel

Daknel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I took the PC to the shop and he cleaned and checked all the fans and they are working fine. The PC mantains a normal Temp so i dont think its that.

The PC will either get the blot on the screen then the PC locked up and i have to do a cold reboot or it'll just shut off completely and sometime not even turn back on. And it's completely random. 2 days ago I got screen blots 4 times that day then it didnt happen for 2 whole days, then the PC just shut off. The blot will happen completely at random when I'm doing thing on the computer. It's not a monitor issue cause when it happens my system freezes.

Thought it was the video card and it does the same stuff.

Everyone thinks it's the PSU.. Could that be it?

Edited by Daknel, 17 December 2009 - 01:26 AM.

Hanspuppa

Hanspuppa

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Daknel, Issues of this nature can be difficult to determine.

First thoughts would be heat related, but you looked at that, maybe.

I have seen the thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink, become defective, and cause heat issues that would not show up unless you removed the CPU heatsink/fan and applied new thermal paste.

I have seen power supplies exhibit many of these same symtoms.

I have also seen defective motherboards act this way as well.

Since you mentioned the system sometimes will display the Leds and start the case fans, but not the CPU or video card fans, it could very well be any of the causes mentioned earlier.

It would be just a trial and error effort to determine the cause of the failure.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Daknel

Daknel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
New thermal paste was put on and it's still doing it.

So my guess is it's either the PSU, the motherboard or maybe a bad GPU slot..

so i guess ill try them all out till i find a fix.