Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

external drive access problem

• Please log in to reply

bullTA

bullTA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my WD 2500JB external usb device has worked fine for years,but yesterday,i tried to access it and it wont read it,if i go to 'my computer' and try to get in,it asks if i want to format it...in my device manager it says it is working properly...i have tried every combination of turning it off,turning my computer off,running it not connected to my computer,everything,including uninstalling it and reinstalling it....i have done everything but format it,since as far as i know formatting it will erase whats on it(all of my music and many of my often used programs)

help!!!i dont have any clue what is wrong with it :)

EDIT:ok,when i go into system properties,and go to system restore,it lists my wd external hard drive as 'Offline' and my main hard drive as 'monitoring'....dunno if this helps

Edited by bullTA, 14 December 2009 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you able to check the external using another PC? Typically the "windows wants to reformat you drive" problem is caused by the file allocation table being damaged, or something along those lines. But we can always look to recovery programs in an attempt to retrieve your data if that is indeed the problem.

bullTA

bullTA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i cant until i get my other computer fixed....its under warranty,so itll be fixed soon...until then i dont have access to another computer