Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Card is Being Wierd

• Please log in to reply

moliver

moliver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The Problem:

PCI video card doesnt work

The Situation:

Attempting to use the PCI card for a second monitor on a dual monitor setup. 1st video card is AGP

The Hardware:

The PCI card is a 4mb SIS 5598/6326 (the name of the windows drivers)
The AGP card is a 128mb Geforce 3 Ti200
Mobo: ASUS A7V33
CPU: Athlon XP 1800
RAM: DDR 512mb

The Horror:

1. Set BIOS to use PCI as primary - works fine until after the part of booting where the drives are detected - then it stops. No error or anything, just stops. Also, power to my keyboard is lost (ie, I can't CTRL ALT DEL)

2. Set BIOS to use AGP as primary - windows boots and finds the new video card. Installs drivers with no problem, but device manager lists the card with a ! and a "cannot start device error"

3. Seems like the PCI card is bad - run it upstairs to throw it in another computer - works great.

4. Tryed the PCI card without the AGP card inserted - stops dead

5. Tryed the PCI card in different slots - with and without AGP card inserted - stops dead

Why does this card hate my PC?

Advertisements

moliver

moliver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
bump... no one?

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Is it compatible with your other cards and/or drivers? You should check first if it's on microsoft etc. s compatible hardware lists.

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
If it's compatible it may be a network cable or other such thing, I wouldn't know really as the only experience with networks I've had is at schools