Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Numlock has become the bane of my existence.

• Please log in to reply

okc_smoker

okc_smoker

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, that's a slight exaggeration. But only a slight one. I have three users on my home PC (Win 7) and somehow Numlock keeps getting disabled. I suspect the kids, but I digress. I want it to stay enabled all. the. time. Period. I can get it to default to enabled through the BIOS, but that's not very helpful. Please, please tell me there is some way I haven't discovered yet to permanently enable Numlock. There's got to be a way to do it through the Scancode Map in the registry or something, but apparently I need a bigger geek than me to figure it out.

Thank you!

Advertisements

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hello and welcome GTG,

I think you will find this is what you are looking for. Here

Thanks,
Germando

okc_smoker

okc_smoker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, but this accomplishes the same thing as the BIOS setting. Numlock defaults to "On" when the computer boots, but it can still be disabled. I'd like to have it default to "On" and then make it impossible to turn off. I know the Scancode Map value in the registry can be used to permanently disable the Insert key, for example, so this must be possible...

Edited by okc_smoker, 15 December 2009 - 08:15 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.computing...ely/131695.html

okc_smoker

okc_smoker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm, looks like that won't work in Win 7. Neither of the registry locations given in that link exist and I'm hesitant to go creating multiple keys. I suspect these particular registry keys have changed from XP to 7. Thanks though!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

it's suggested that the XP stuff is basically the same as vista or 7...i don't have a version of 7 up at the moment so i can't verify...but in the first link i posted, in the comments, the person mentioned that the original poster missed a step in the key path, suggesting that it should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

okc_smoker

okc_smoker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you! Looks like this should do it. I'm at work now, but I'll give it a try when I get home...