Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP validation issues

• Please log in to reply

fwilkinson313

fwilkinson313

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
greetings all!

My windows XP failed validation with the genuine advantage. The store owner where I purchased it seemed completely disinterested in helping me (other than trying to extract a substantial bit of money up front with no promise of actually resolving this issue). He tried to blame software that I installed (without even asking what I had installed), then after I countered that I didn't think that software was the issue, he turned his attention to a virus. His operation seems ligit enough in that he has an address and has been there for a few years.

My questions are:

1. Are any of his proposed causes legitimate in your experience?
2. If left unresolved, what are likely effects on my system
3. Does anyone have any experience with the way microsoft will respond to this? I don't want to pay (again?) for a license since I already bought this system in good faith.

Note - I am not asking for help bypassing this issue as you indicated was not an option in another thread. I am just looking for your experience with how this situation plays out for people in my shoes.

Thank you in advance for your help

Frank

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

The store owner where I purchased it

You purchased Windoes CD, or a computer with Windows on it?

fwilkinson313

fwilkinson313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

The store owner where I purchased it

You purchased Windoes CD, or a computer with Windows on it?

I purchased a refurbished laptop with Windows XP already installed. I did not get any discs with it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Does the laptop have XP product number printed on the label?
If so, I'd call Microsoft.

fwilkinson313

fwilkinson313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It has a windows 2000 number on it.

I admit I didn't think of these issues when I purchased it last May. I needed to replace a laptop and wanted to avoid Vista (Out of the frying pan and into the fire). I was on the assumption that anything installed on it would have been licensed by MS.

Is it common practice to upgrade these old machines like this? Did I get scammed? The whole demeanor of the store owner was too fishy. The entire conversation was him levying accusations at me like I suddenly went stupid after 25 years of using PCs. It did not occur to me until much later that he should have a record of this machine and the product code of the OS installed on it. Surely if the code was corrupted as he suggested to me it would have been fixable without the need for extensive diagnostics or a re-install of the OS.

I will try MS as you suggest - thanks for you input.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Is it common practice to upgrade these old machines like this?

It depends on computer specs. It may be good for XP, it may be not.

Use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder: http://www.magicalje....com/keyfinder/ to find XP product key, so when you call MS, simply explain the situation and ask them if the key is legit.

fwilkinson313

fwilkinson313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Is it common practice to upgrade these old machines like this?

It depends on computer specs. It may be good for XP, it may be not.

Use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder: http://www.magicalje....com/keyfinder/ to find XP product key, so when you call MS, simply explain the situation and ask them if the key is legit.

As I expected, the key is not legit. The key returned from keyfinder does not match the Windows 2000 key on the machine. The options offered were to either purchase a key or return it to the store (already tried that :) ).

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I would return the computer to the store ask for a refund and report them to microsoft.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
[color="red"]Edit:actually everything you just said is incorrect and completely illegal...if you purchase a computer with the operating system already installed, then you have purchased an OEM license for the OS..which is ONLY legal to be run on THAT computer. the OEM license is also tied to "qualifying hardware" (generally the motherboard and/or processor. so if you change either of those components (which is what happens when you install your OEM OS on another computer) then you've voided the license

please refrain from offering advice like this in the future, and go out and buy a

first of all you idiot it WAS a retail copy and secondly i called microsoft and asked them and they said it was ok as long as it was home home office and not a business\corperate machine

Edited by mikeloeven, 17 December 2009 - 10:41 AM.
Incorrect advice

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
SOME PC makers and local shops will use a volume license key to install their operating systems in the shop. a volume license is a license that has only one install key but that key is licensed to be used on X amount of computers (however volume licenses they buy). they do this because they THINK they can give you a cheaper price by doing this. HOWEVER a volume license key is non transferable so they end up giving you an illegal OS by doing this...what the PC maker SHOULD be using is OEM licensing which gives EACH install a different license key but is still cheaper than full retail..

basically you got scammed (either intentionally or otherwise). which is only further strengthened by the fact that the laptop has a windows 2000 COA (certificate of authenticity) and XP installed. If this guy was a legitimate businessman he would have A) legally obtained/installed the OS on your system and B) replaced the COA with the proper XP OEM COA on the laptop before he sold it...since he did neither he is actually at fault and should be issuing you a refund on the computer

if he refuses to comply with this, then you need to contact your local business association (like the better business bureau) and the police.

you also need to contact microsoft. make sure to explain EXACTLY what happened and the fact that the PC has a windows 2000 COA but has XP installed, give them the product key that you got from magic jellybean as well as the one on the 2000 COA, and if you have it you should get your receipt from the purchase of the laptop...they may want you to send it to them.