Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game (Borderlands) keeps minimizing.

• Please log in to reply

Didjit

Didjit

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm stuck here and hoping for some help.
Like the title says, I'll be playing Borderlands and then it will start to minimize for no apparent reason, and this will continue indefinitely every several minutes.

A couple things to keep in mind:
  • This is a fresh build. I just reinstalled everything from Vista up. See my last (unanswered) post for that saga.
  • I don't think it's the keyboard. It's a gaming keyboard with good chording behavior. Also, there isn't a consistent key sequence that triggers this.
  • I thought it might be temperature. While I'm running hot (80C GPU, 65C CPU) it's not spiking, and it doesn't minimize when I'm doing "nothing" even if the boards are hot.
  • Others report trouble with AVG. I'm using Avast and I've tried disabling it.
  • I've tried shutting down some obvious services like Windows Feeds update, Google update.
  • I've looked through the even log and all I see are repeated attempts by windows to render the desktop and being denied because a program (Borderlands) is blocking it. Not sure if this is proper or not.
  • My drivers, etc. are all up to date.
Any suggestions of what to try next? I can try reinstalling drivers, but I'm suspecting something else. I'll have to try another game to see if it's only in Borderlands.

Thanks!
Didjit.

Oh Windows, it's so hard to be your friend...

Edited by Didjit, 15 December 2009 - 12:54 AM.

Advertisements

Didjit

Didjit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, this is embarrassing, but I'll share it in case it saves someone the hours I spent researching and testing different possibilities.

It turns out my problem wasn't over-temping or a rogue process. It was a key binding. My keyboard is configurable (Merc Stealth), and somehow my binding for key 'F' became "press F then wait a bit a hold down Alt and then a bit later hit Tab". That's right, Alt-Tab. between it being a lesser used key and the hidden delay it just never seemed to be consistent with what I was doing at the moment.