Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm new here... hello... and I need help...

• Please log in to reply

shaggytan

shaggytan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm not very good with comps.

Anyhow, I'm trying to run my cpu on my hdtv via one of those dvi-hdmi cables, with an extra cable for sound.

I've tried about everything. I just can't get my comp to work on resolution 1920X1080.

Issues
- Screen size spill over border (corrected by tv settings - Just Scan)
- Too "Sharp"... is that called overscan? Everything's just way too sharp.
- Colors are very bright... my reds are waaay too red, and my whites are glaring, even with brightness turned low.

What's weird is, it works on 1360X768. Everything's fine, but everything's too large for me to use comfortably.

Details you guys might need

- Windows Vista Business Service Pack 2
- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
- Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz

Er... my tv's a Samsung LA32A550, if that's any use...

Anymore details, please ask... and thanks in advance for the help...

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'll see if I can help you out, but without being there, it's a little tough. So you were able to correct for the "Screen size" issue, which is actually the overscan you are talking about in your post? As for the sharpness, what settings are you using on the Samsung? Typically, you have additional settings in the control panel of whichever graphics card you are using, that allow adjustments for overscan, color, tint, contrast, etc. Personally, that's where I would start.

I'll look around and see if I can find anything specific to the GeForce 8800GT, but if you have the manual, that might be the best place.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 15 December 2009 - 07:28 AM.

shaggytan

shaggytan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean the Nvidia Control Panel? Closest I could find was the colour settings. Played with the settings, and with my tv, nothing solves my sharpness issue. When I lower brightness, it's alot more obvious. The fonts have like an outer glow...

Curiously enough, everything works with 1360X768, and the changes I made when my screen was 1920X1080 was also brought over, gamma reduction etc, so I don't suppose it's a color issue, but rather a resolution issue? Or is it a color issue?

Is there a driver that I should install to make 1080p compatible? Or a program I could install? I tried Powerstrip. White was 6500 temperature... which meant normal, even though I think it's definitely off...

Oh yea, my old pc monitor, worked fine with 1080p... this problem occurs only when I switched to my hdtv...

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled_1.jpg

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Is there anything useful in the Video and Television section of the screenshot you posted? I'm going to see if I can find some more information about your specific television. I want to see if it is indeed 1080p and if not, what it does with the signal to convert it into it's native resolution.

You posted that it was a Samsung LA32A550. Are you sure it isn't the LN32a550?

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 15 December 2009 - 01:28 PM.

shaggytan

shaggytan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried taking pics of my manual... but ah well... The specs are more or less here... definitely this model...

http://www.samsung.c...a...il&tab=spec

The Video Television settings in Nvidia are to change my movie player settings. Color, Gamma and Dynamic range... no use whatsoever...

I'm currently trying to google applications like powerstrip to try to correct the issues...

I appreciate all the help so far. Thanks.

Still trying to solve...

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I was able to find and download a copy of the manual. Are you using HDMI In 2 as your input for the PC? They state on page 28 that you have to use that input when connecting a PC.

I also see that the 1920x1080 resolution is only supported in CEA mode and not VESA. I need to do a little more research on that, but it sounds like it's the format at which the video card supplies the signal. But then again, you would think that if it's an incompatible format, you wouldn't get any picture at all.

It seems as though you have a wide array of adjustments for the PC input if you read page 29.

I also found this which may allow you to force the video card to output the CEA standard using the advanced timing features of your card. That is an older screenshot of the software, but I think this is what yours would look like. It looks like the manual gives you some of the settings for a custom timing on the bottom of page 28, but not all of them. Perhaps Samsung support could fill in the blanks for you.

But be aware that nVidia warns that you don't do this unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 15 December 2009 - 02:57 PM.

shaggytan

shaggytan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Definitely output 2, output 1's my xbox...

There's no auto adjustments with my tv settings, strangely enough...

I'm looking around, but my Nvidia control panel is, like you mentioned, different... controls are set to advanced and I'm searching for any timing options anywhere...

I'll google up on the CEA vs VESA thing too... see if I can find anything useful...

Emailed samsung service center... should expect a mail back soon...

shaggytan

shaggytan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Dear customer,

Thank you for your email.

Your enquiry has been forwarded to the Technical Support. Our Technical Advisor will contact and advice you accordingly.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you.

Warmest Regards,
Samsung Customer Service
Singapore

Sigh... I'll wait...

shaggytan

shaggytan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyway, attached to this pic, is the only function I could find with timing...

It doesn't have CEA in it... it has CVT, which in the manual, is for D-sub input, not HDMI/DVI... which of course I tried... and screwed me over, cus it was not compatible, and I had to shift my old monitor back, replug everything, just to change resolution and mode... so... definitely not CVT...

My best bet now I guess is to find a program or driver which is compatible...