Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

100% CPU usage after startup

• Please log in to reply

Traken

Traken

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, im new here and would appreciate any help that i can get at all. It started a couple days ago after restarting my laptop trying to fix the firewall in bitdefender that wouldn't come on. After the restart the startup was really slow and when it did restart i noticed that the computer would soon lockup and i couldn't do anything at all, i had to shut it down the hard way. Then after the next restart the first thing i did after it loaded was open task manager.

I noticed that my computer was running at 100% processor, it was one process so i ended it. Then noticed that a different process just pickup up and ran the same, ended it one more time and 2 processes ran at an equal 50% so the processor was still at 100%. No matter how i do it any random process runs the cpu at full speed right after startup and then the computer locks up and nothing but the mouse and a few basic things will work and i have to shut it down holding the power button. There aren't any processes that i don't know about running and all the non essential stuff is turned off in the startup list.

Tried system restore, but its locks up before i can even get to it. Any ideas what could be causing the problem? :)

Edited by Traken, 15 December 2009 - 01:07 AM.

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hi there, this does sound as if it may be BitDefender which is causing other processes to spike. What was actually done to get BD's firewall working again? Also, what is the name of the first process that you see at 100% in Task Manager?

Traken

Traken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, on the BitDefender site it has a file to download that uninstalls "all traces of the bitdefender firewall from the pc" and then restart. Perform a product update then another restart, then there is a patch to install and another restart and it should have been working from then. After the last restart i noticed it was till not working and there was no single process that would take up the cpu first. It was random, every time it would be something that starts with windows startup and all the nonessential stuff was disabled.

No matter whats running the cpu at 100% and if the process is killed another process takes over and does the same basically till the laptop locks up, if i don't open something up as soon as windows loads its impossible.

Think this should show the steps to fix the firewall exactly. http://www.bitdefend...e/consumer/#391

Edited by Traken, 17 December 2009 - 12:19 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).