Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad secondary hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

tommy18

tommy18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Recently, my pc would not start. First I changed the psu, didnt work. Then I changed the mobo...didnt worrk...took the mobo back to the store because I thought it was dead. Now I took my new mobo and psu to a local shop to have them install it in case I was missing something even though I have done several upgrades in the past. He tells me my hard drive is the problem (4-5 years old). So I buy a new hard drive and everything works great.

I need my information off my old drive, as soon as I hooked it up as a secondary drive my pc would not start even when I unplugged it. Then I did a little interent research and someone mentioned "reset your cmos". I pulled out the battery on the mobo put it back in now everything works.

My main concern is getting information off my old drive...how do I go about doing that.

Using xp pro on new drive...old drive is xp home.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
There are a couple different ways this can be accomplished, provided the drive isn't physically damaged. The easiest of which is getting a HDD USB adapter or enclosure that will allow you to attach the drive via USB. Personally, I like this one, but there are a ton of different options.

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Wow what a great product. I went today to pick up an external closure..I had never heard of these before and it worked like a charm. Thanks for your input.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
No problem. Glad I could help.