Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router slowing Internet

• Please log in to reply

bengaluru

bengaluru

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I have a DLink DI-524 Modem connected to the computer and have been experiencing very slow connection for the last two days.

When I called my ISP, they said nothing was wrong with the speed and I was asked to disconnect the Router to check the speed. The Quality of service showed a reading of 99%. he said that I should call my router company. When I checked the speed with the router connected, it gave me a reading of 41%.

The Router company said that the model has been discontinued and as such cannot provide any solution.

How can I increase my Internet speed. Any solutions with the existing network.

I have connected the desktop and two laptops directly to the router and one other laptop get wireless internet.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
There really isn't much you can do since you've narrowed down the problem to the router. The first thing I would try is to replace the cable between the router and the desktop, unless it's the same cable you used when removing the router from the path.

You might also want to try a firmware update, but I really can't see that solving your problem. You can go here to see if you have the latest version.

Other than that, it might be time for a replacement.

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks syderturbo007. I checked with the manufacturer for a firmware update but there is'nt any.

Thanks anyways.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I recently went through the same problem with my old DIR-624. All of a sudden one day, things ground to a halt and all my connections kept getting dumped. I ended up picking up a DIR-628 as a replacement and everything has been solid for months. I think I paid about $60 for it through Amazon.

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
thanks my friend. Maybe it's time to change my router as well. After all these are machines and how long will they go on.

Thanks and Merry Christmas and a Great New year.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Thanks and Merry Christmas and a Great New year.

Thanks, you too.