Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

All "wizard" type programs will not open.

• Please log in to reply

Chile

Chile

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I first noticed when I went to update my graphics card drivers. I had never done so before, so of course, I installed them incorrectly. I did not uninstall the current drivers or anything first, but installed the new ones right on top of them. I also installed a new version of ATI's catalyst control center, which would not install or open correctly.

I hope to God that that whole mess is entirely unrelated, but it is when I noticed the problem. I went into my control panel at some point, clicked add or remove program, and it wouldn't open. Nothing popped up, no error messages; the mouse turned into the pointer/hourglass for a second, then went back to normal as if nothing had ever happened. It didn't take long to figure out the rest of the control panel programs didn't work either. The only ones that do work are things like fonts or printers, where the "program" is more of a folder. I also tried going into the system files and running the ".cpl" files, but the exact same thing happens.

What leads me to believe that it's ALL the "wizard" programs that won't work is that when I right click on the desktop and click "New Shortcut," the wizard doesn't come up. Instead, a worthless file just appears on the desktop saying "new shortcut."

This happened a while ago, and I've been ignoring it. Lately though it's been getting on my nerves because some full-screen games won't work. I could probably fix things to let them work if ATI's catalyst control center works, but I can't figure that whole mess out, which reminds me of the very bizarre problem of none of the wizard programs working.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? I can't find anything about it on the internet.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to use this link to run "cpl file association fix". If successful and you can get into control panel, uninstall the corrupt video drivers and install it afresh.

I would also recommend that you scan your computer for malware. Please use the link in my list, below, to the malware forum and follow the instructions.

Chile

Chile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, I ran the fix, but they still won't open.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
First of all, did you try system restore?
Secondly, go Start>Run, type in:
devmgmt.msc
Will Device Manager open?