Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Laptop

• Please log in to reply

DieselHugh

DieselHugh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi to everyone,

I accidentally came to this website and I`m so glad I did. After perusing the forum I can tell the "Geeks" here really know their stuff.

I`m having real problems with my laptop, even while writing this I have to wait every 2-3 seconds while the computer catches up. It just seems to pause.
I don`t really know where to start in fixing it. It keeps doing weird stuff. The multi-media keys at the top suddenly flash, system restore deleted itself, it sometimes freezes totally and I have to press and hold the off button. Icons have dissapeared.

Something is wrong but because I`m quite new to technology I haven`t a clue as where to start. I`m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Am I even posting this in the right place?

I have ScanningProcess.exe that uses up a lot CPU and SanaAgent.exe running sometimes but I`ve only researched conflicting ideas of what and where they come from.

I have up to now, used Malwarebytes, Spybot and Ccleaner but all have come back with nothing. Could someone knowledgeable please help me? I`d really appreciate it.

I have a Medion MD laptop, Vista Home Premium, duo 1.83GHz, 3GB RAM, 300GB Harddrive.

many thanks
Andy

Edited by DieselHugh, 15 December 2009 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
My first recommendation would be to use a product called ATFCleaner. The directions for ATF Cleaner are:

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program. ( In Vista, Right click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator" )

Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

I would next recommend removing Norton 360 from your computer and using one of the Antivirus Programs listed here.

After doing these two I would also recommend running Disk Defragmenter on your system.

The directions for running Defrag can be found here.

Hope this helps,

Edited by Techextreme, 15 December 2009 - 07:11 PM.

DieselHugh

DieselHugh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Member,

I have completed the steps you advised. Nothing seems to have changed. ScanningProcess.exe still appears in the Task Manager. As does SanaAgent.exe. Neither of them I know of.

The fan on my laptop is spinning all the time? Even when my machine is doing nothing. I haven`t noticed it before? I still cannot type freely. I have to wait every few words while the pc catches up.

I sometimes get an error message saying "Primary SafeConnect Application has stopped working and was closed" I thought it was a Virgin product in PCGuard but apparently it also comes with AVG software which I have never installed. I have asked them how to get rid of it but they haven`t replied yet.

I have also noticed a folder in Program Files called Raxco which contains PerfectDisk which is a defregging program which I also didn`t install?

My computer`s light which tells me when the pc is accessing the harddrive is always flashing too. I also have multi-media lights which are also flashing. I have asked the manufacturer about them and awaiting a reply.

My PC always seems to be doing something in the background and is always hot. Sometimes it freezes completely and I cannot do anything except press and hold the off button which I don`t like to do.

Do you or anyone have any idea what my problem is? I`ll be very grateful if you can help.

many thanks

P.S. the link you gave me for defragging was for winXP but I found the relevant page so thank you anyway.

Edited by DieselHugh, 17 December 2009 - 09:33 AM.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Sorry about the Defrag link. I only noticed you had vista long after posting my first reply.

As for SanaAgent.exe and ScanningProcess.exe I have a few questions for you.

Do you have Verizon for your Internet Service Provider?

Do you have Kaspersky Antivirus Installed?

And Raxco possibly came with your laptop when it was purchased new.

DieselHugh

DieselHugh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Member,

I don`t have Verizon for my internet connection I have Virgin Media. I don`t have Kapersky AV either.

ScanningProcess.exe stops running when I turn off the Anti-Virus and the Anti-Spyware section in PCguard which is also from Virgin.

I don`t think Raxco came with my PC because when I looked at the "Date Created" it said 17th December 2009??? Which I know for a fact it wasn`t. The files inside the Raxco folder were all different dates some say 15/09/08 and 28/8/08.
I got my PC on the 3/6/08

Now I`m more confused than ever!! Do you have any other ideas? Thanks very much if you do.

Andy

Hanspuppa

Hanspuppa

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello DieselHugh, It appears as though you may have some malware that has infected your system.

Can you advise what Brand and Model number of your system is?

It may be best to backup your data and perform a fresh install of the software to the state when the system was purchased.

Some Laptops come with a Factory Recovery Restore partition while others require the original disk and a manual install of all the software.

I have run into this several times, and found after many attemps to recover from these kinds of issues, that a fresh install is the best option.

Hope this helps.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
According to the link on Virgin Media's Site, PcGuard Antivirus is "powered by Kaspersky Antivirus". As such, you actually have a "rebranded" version of Kaspersky Antivirus.

If you recently signed up for one of their "broadband" packages from Virgin, I would contact them as to what problems you are experiencing with their provided software and possibly if they have an updated version or a "fix" for the problems you are running into with the 100% CPU with SanaAgent.exe and ScanningProcess.exe.

My personal recommendation, would be to remove the PCGuard software and use one of the freely available antivirus solutions from AVG, Avast, or the host of others out there. Or, purchase a full version of kaspersky or another vendors antivirus software.

Hope this helps,

DieselHugh

DieselHugh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello DieselHugh, It appears as though you may have some malware that has infected your system.

Can you advise what Brand and Model number of your system is?

It may be best to backup your data and perform a fresh install of the software to the state when the system was purchased.

Some Laptops come with a Factory Recovery Restore partition while others require the original disk and a manual install of all the software.

I have run into this several times, and found after many attemps to recover from these kinds of issues, that a fresh install is the best option.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice Hanspuppa.

My PC is a Medion MD96640 Intel Core2 Duo CPU [email protected] 3GB Ram. NVIDIA GeForce9300M G.

I have also taken Techextreme`s advice and UNinstalled PCGuard and installed AVG. My system did at first seem ok but then everything occasionally freezes up again. My typing isn`t any better either.

I was hoping not to do a fresh re-install of my computer because I`ve never done it before and I`m worried that once I`ve started I might get stuck. And I`m not sure what stuff needs backing up before doing it?

I think I have got a partition with some folders on it. One is a driver folder so does that mean I do have a Factory Recovery Restore??

Is there anything else you can possibly think of that I could try before I take the drastic step of re-installing?

Thanks again for taking time to help me.

Andrew

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Ok. Now that things are a "little" better, I'd like you to take a look at your task manager and click on the processes tab. You will see one spiking the processor up and down. What is tha name of the file that spikes the processor?

Also have a question... When you uninstalled PcGuard, did it completely remove everything or did it have the options to only remove portions?

Did you completely uninstall PCGuard? Just to be sure you removed all portions, you may want to use the PCGuard Uninstall Tool. It can be found here.

You may also want to read these instructions as it looks like PCGuard is a "hodge-podge" of programs thrown together.

Hope this helps,