Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Cable from hub to switch

  • Please log in to reply




  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Do you use straight through cable or crossover?
Is it straight through cable because they're two unlike devices?
  • 0




    Trusted Helper

  • Malware Removal
  • 3,890 posts
Consider that:

1. Most modern switches automatically detects the device and the connection type, and adjust accordingly.

2. If there is an UPLINK port on Hub or Switch, you use straight cable. Normal port to an UPLINK Port.

3. If there are no UPLINK ports available on either device (old models), then you use a cross-over cable.

Read the device manual carefully. :)

Edited by Salagubang, 16 December 2009 - 07:02 AM.

  • 0



    Je suis Napoléon!

  • Administrator
  • 26,039 posts
  • MVP
hubs and switches are both connecting devices...not end point devices...so no matter the age, as long as you're going connecting device to connecting device it's straight-through... a crossover cable is for endpoint device to endpoint device (i.e. computer to computer or computer to older router that doesn't have switchports)
  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP