Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NVIDIA nvata.sys IDE/SATA driver Issue

• Please log in to reply

Kilika

Kilika

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
It seems I have a known issue with my NVIDIA nForce4 IDE/SATA nvata.sys driver as it relates to the HDD. So far, I haven’t found a solution.

IDE driver: nvata.sys (version 5.10.200.552)

In my case, I’ve been running this eVGA GeForce 7950 GT for nearly 4 years with no issues at all on a ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe mobo, and 2GB of Corsair DDR2. I’m running only one card.

Like my computer is doing, there is an issue with the IDE/SATA driver causing the pc to hard freeze up, and only disconnecting power will allow reboot. Occasionally there is a BSOD relating to IRQL or something to that effect. I’ve gotten a BSOD 3-4 times in many freezes.

My pc freezes only when I go online. If I stay offline, so far, it has yet to freeze up.

It varies somewhat how long online before it freezes, from 5 minutes to sometimes 15-20 minutes.

Some have said they uninstalled the driver for the IDE/SATA and the problem stopped. That did not work for me. And I haven’t found any updated nvata.sys so far, and searched on NVIDIA site produce no results, yet it’s a known issue. Typical.

I have done the malware removal guide tips and no apparent bugs found(runs better now actually!), yet some have related this issue to being a bug of some sort. Well, it is buggy, but this problem doesn’t seem at all like a bug infection. It’s a new driver is needed issue.

I went to school to work in the video game industry as a 3D modeler, and built this for gaming, but I’ve since decided to get out of gaming, and as it is this box is rather outdated game-wise, so I don’t need the higher end video card. I don’t mess with video either as my connection is slow. A decent basic card would be fine, but I’d like to fix this if I can.

Is there a fix for this nvata.sys driver issue yet?

Advertisements

Kilika

Kilika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Anyone? No NVIDIA nForce IDE/SATA driver issues?

keespc

keespc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have exactly the same problem, after I have added a new SATA drive to my computer. My motherboard is a GAK8N with the nForce SLI, but I am running on only one memory. From time to time the computer can freeze for up to 10 minutes. why?
Now I reinstall Windows, and it is not possible to find the nvata.sys drive on my CD. Neither can I find it on the NVIDIA website.
Does anyone have an idea on how to proceed? thanks, Kees

Kilika

Kilika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Wow, still no replys.

Is there anyone else that might have an idea how to fix this?

The main issue is with the NVIDIA nforce4 driver, so it seems I just need to get away from NVIDIA, because the card itself is fine, as this seems to be a fundamental design flaw rather than something being broke.

I'm resolved to go with something non-nforce4, maybe ATI.

Though my ASUS MOBO is designed around NVIDIA, an ATI should run shouldn't it?

Kilika

Kilika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
All these geeks here and nobody has anything to offer? This is the same silence I'm getting from NVIDIA and ASUS.

Here's some comments from what I can find so far at other forums where people actually reply...

http://forums.nvidia...php?t15753.html

http://forums.nvidia...php?t35100.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try posting in the Waiting Room with a link to this topic and maybe a tech with some experience with this issue may be able to help you.
I would say it sounds like the nvidia driver is corrupt or it's a malware issue.

Kilika

Kilika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks rshaffer61, I'll give that a shot, but I guarantee this is not malware, spyware, or any other kind of suspect software. This is a known design issue that both NVIDIA and ASUS know about but don't seem to want to address it.

Searches show that this existed back in 2005/2006, and here it is 2010 and no obvious fix that I can find.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
found you in the waiting room... :) sometimes people get lost in the crowd ...

download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...edSetup.exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...

if you get a message
This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once
click on download then try running it again

WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Happyrock for the help. I figure its a driver issue.

Kilika

Kilika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the reply Happy,

Here's the report...

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 12/15/2009 1:59:00 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFF60, 0x0, 0x804F16A1, 0x0)
Error: Unknown
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121509-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
only one crash back in the middle of December :) ....

Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW from here and save it to your Desktop:
Double-click VEW.exe
Under Select log to query... select
Application
System
Under select type to list select
Error
Warning

Then Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log....Please cut and paste the Output log in your next reply

Edited by happyrock, 02 March 2010 - 07:13 PM.

Kilika

Kilika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Here's the Event Viewer log...

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 03/03/2010 12:32:07 AM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 2:09:12 PM
Type: error Category: 101
Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang
Hanging application mmc.exe, version 5.2.3790.4136, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/12/2009 5:47:06 AM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 20 Source: Google Update
The event description cannot be found.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/12/2009 4:47:05 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/12/2009 3:47:05 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/12/2009 2:47:05 AM

'Application' Log - warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/12/2009 3:35:53 AM
Type: warning Category: 0
Event: 1517 Source: Userenv
Windows saved user GAMERIG\Chris registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/12/2009 3:35:52 AM
Event: 1524 Source: Userenv
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 9:25:40 AM
Event: 1524 Source: Userenv
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/11/2009 7:52:29 AM
Event: 1517 Source: Userenv
Windows saved user GAMERIG\Chris registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/07/2009 2:19:15 AM
Event: 1015 Source: MsiInstaller
Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0

'System' Log - error Type
'System' Log - warning Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/02/2010 2:34:43 PM
Event: 4226 Source: Tcpip
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/02/2010 8:44:08 AM
Event: 4226 Source: Tcpip
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you been using this system at all since your original posting date of Dec 16 2009, 01:50 AM...

Kilika

Kilika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Every day, till it freezes up and I get tired of rebooting. That date is about the time issues started, maybe a month or so before.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the only things showing for February is ...
mmc.exe it is the Microsoft Management Console application and is used to display various management plug-ins accessed from the Control Panel, such as the Device Manager. "This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

and Tcpip...all the others are from November and earlier

are you getting blue screens or does it just hang for awhile...what happen if you just let it set for awhile when it hangs

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

Edited by happyrock, 03 March 2010 - 12:30 PM.