Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router connection to Switch

• Please log in to reply

Earlster

Earlster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, I've got a Linksys BEFSR41 router and a Sweex 4 port switch. I know the two work together because they have done for a couple of years, then a few weeks ago one of my kids decided to rewire the network and for some reason it just wont pick up the machines connected to the router via the switch. I dont remember how I set it up, and I'm not sure if I had to do anything to the routers set-up for the switch to work so I'm hoping somone can point me in the direction of what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The main connection you need to look at is between the router and the switch.

On your switch you should look for a port called "uplink". This is the port that should be connected to your router. If you do not have one like this you need a crossoner cable. This cable can be plugged into one of the 4 ports in the router and any of the ports in your switch.

If you have the model number of your switch I should be able to give you exact port numbers to plug into between your router and your switch.

Earlster

Earlster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It doesnt seem to have a model number on it, but the manual says its a SW001 or SW001UK (since Im in the UK I expect the latter)

It has 5 ports on the rear marked 1x-5x

Hope thats of some help.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Ok. I can't find anything that shows the back of the Sweex SW0001 switch so I'll give you the best directions I can.

On the back of your Linksys Router, you will find 4 ports together and one single port. The 4 ports are the "switch" ports on the router. These are where any computers or switches or printers or any other network connected equipment will be connected into.

The single Port will be marked "WAN" or "Internet". This is where your Internet connection ( dsl, cable, etc. ) is plugged into.

On the back of the Sweex Switch I'm guessing there are 5 ports ( from what I read on their website ).

Each port should be numbered and one may have some extra wording similar to "uplink" or "MDI-X". This is the port you want to use to connect two switches together. According to Sweex, this switch should be "Auto MDI-X" meaning it will figure out whether or not each specific port needs to be "straight-through" or "crossover" wired.

So, from the back of your Linksys Router, take a cable from any of the ports marked 1-4 and plug it into any of the ports on the back of the Sweex Switch. Watch the router and the switch and see if the LED lights for both ports that you just plugged into. IF, it does not light the leds on BOTH pieces of equipment, try another port one at a time on each piece of equipment. Upon plugging the cable in, give the switch 10 seconds to "auto configure the port" and check the LEDS on both pieces of equipment again. If only one or none of them have lit up, I would suggest replacing that cable with a known good cable and retest.

I hope this makes sense. If not, let me know.

Earlster

Earlster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The switch doesnt seem to be picking up any connections made to it from the router, Ive tried a crossover and normal cable, I think the switch could be damaged, but Im at a loss as how it could be.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The computers that are connected to the switch only, can they "see" each other through "my network places" or "Network Neighborhood"?