Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible problem with video card?

• Please log in to reply

psychofreke

psychofreke

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm wondering if I have a problem with my video card crashing my computer. It usually happens when I'm away from home, sometime between the screen saver turning on and the monitor turning off. Possibly even after the monitor turning off. For a while I was getting errors saying that NetGear drivers were causing the problem, so I uninstalled the device and removed my ethernet card. Now I'm running my internet through a USB port. Not long before I did that, and not long after, I had a few more crashes and the error reports either did not specify the problem, and only said it was a driver issue, or said that it was an issue with the video drivers which are entirely up-to-date. I'm wondering if a new video card would solve this problem. In addition to this, I'm also having problems with my browser and e-mail. The post on these problems can be found here.

Advertisements

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
A bad graphics card shouldnt make your comp crash

psychofreke

psychofreke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

A bad graphics card shouldnt make your comp crash

View Post

I've updated to Norton SystemWorks 2005 and gotten rid of 9 virii. So far, I've also gotten rid of countless ad-ware and spy-ware. The computer hasn't crashed today. We'll see what happens in a couple days. I'm still having all of the same access problems with my browser, e-mail, and updating software though. I'm wondering if the virii didn't have some effect on my computers settings, that's causing the problems with my browsers and outlook.

Edited by psychofreke, 18 May 2005 - 02:41 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
its possible that virus infections you had have screwed things up. some viruses even like to hijack your browser settings, etc.
so are you using the problem PC to connect to this site, or are you on a different PC? do you have any internet access on the problem box, or is it all screwed up at this point?

part of why I ask is I would suggest running some online virus scans, like trend micro-cillin, or panda. these can turn up othe bugs that norton could miss. check out the malware forum, read through the pinned "Read this first!" which will have links to online scans, some fixes, etc.

Im inclined to think a repair install of windows should fix up your problems, but it would be good to make sure you have a bug free system first.

psychofreke

psychofreke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

its possible that virus infections you had have screwed things up.  some viruses even like to hijack your browser settings, etc.
so are you using the problem PC to connect to this site, or are you on a different PC?  do you have any internet access on the problem box, or is it all screwed up at this point?

part of why I ask is I would suggest running some online virus scans, like trend micro-cillin, or panda.  these can turn up othe bugs that norton could miss.  check out the malware forum, read through the pinned "Read this first!" which will have links to online scans, some fixes, etc.

Im inclined to think a repair install of windows should fix up your problems, but it would be good to make sure you have a bug free system first.

View Post

Yes, I'm using the problem PC to connect. I'm hoping it doesn't have to go to the repair install because I don't have a copy, and I'm not sure if I can get one right now. That was another thing I had a problem with. Updating my software. I had to manually update Ad-Aware. Norton LiveUpdate will not work. I can't update SD either. I can't run any of the online scanners, because they need ActiveX enabled in order to run. That was another of my problems. I tried to fix that on my own through the settings, but since it didn't work, I restored all defaults. I was able to download Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, but it came up with nothing.

Edited by psychofreke, 18 May 2005 - 12:04 PM.

psychofreke

psychofreke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm also starting to think that a repair install of my OS would be beneficial. I found my disk, but not my S/N. Is there a way for me to obtain the S/N I'm using now? Also, it's been a couple days, and no crash. I think I fixed that problem. Now just a matter of fixing the other problems.

Edited by psychofreke, 19 May 2005 - 03:59 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
you can run Belarc Advisor. It will reveal the M$ product key.

psychofreke

psychofreke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

you can run Belarc Advisor.  It will reveal the M$ product key.

View Post

Cool!!! THX!!! Hey, BTW, in the security system status area. If I do everything they recommend, how badly will that lock down my system and prohibit me from doing things or downloading things?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
easiest way to get your serial number- right click my computer, go to properties. under the general tab, it will list who the machine is registered to, and the S/N.

a firewall mostly helps prevent incoming hack attempts, most good programs will also bock outgoing that hasnt been authorized by you to send out.
check out zonealarm, its free, very good. I use it.

antivirus keeps you clean, as long as you keep it updated and do the scans.
these things are essential with the internet environment the way it is...

you just have to configure the programs to allow what you want to do, and they will help stop anything you dont want to happen.

psychofreke

psychofreke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

easiest way to get your serial number- right click my computer, go to properties.  under the general tab, it will list who the machine is registered to, and the S/N.

a firewall mostly helps prevent incoming hack attempts, most good programs will also bock outgoing that hasnt been authorized by you to send out.
check out zonealarm, its free, very good.  I use it.

antivirus keeps you clean, as long as you keep it updated and do the scans.
these things are essential with the internet environment the way it is...

you just have to configure the programs to allow what you want to do, and they will help stop anything you dont want to happen.

View Post

No need for zonealarm. I used to use it. Norton Systemworks has a firewall built in. As for this method of getting my S/N, I needed the serial and the activiation code. Belarc worked for me :tazz: