Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TrueCrypt USB Drive Corrupted

• Please log in to reply

GJMPL

GJMPL

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My USB Flash Drive has (had) an encrypted Truecrypt folder on it, 4GB in size. A colleague of mine put the dongle into another machine which had different encryption software on it and foolishly clicked next>next>next without thinking and has managed to encrypt the device with the new software and the folder that held about 3GB of critical information is now vanished.

The process of deletion/encryption took a matter of seconds which makes me think that the original file/folder has not been totally deleted, merely hidden away or overwritten.

I have had a looka round and tried CHKDSK etc but nothing appears to be working. Does anybody have any ideas as to how i might retrieve the aforementioned file?

the file that is now on the Flash Drive has a .DLV suffix

Cheers

G

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you plugged the drive back in to the "new" computer with the second encryption software and decrypted it with that software? then tried to see if truecrypt would decrypt?

GJMPL

GJMPL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes,

When mounted with the 'new' encryption software it just shows a blank 3.99GB sector with no files, hidden or otherwise, in it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just how critical is the data? if it's irreplaceable company stuff....then you may want to contact a data recovery service (not cheap but usually effective)