Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows was unable to find certificate...

• Please log in to reply

Moon Slayer

Moon Slayer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to access my parent's wireless network. I type in the network key and it starts to connect, but after a few minutes of working this happens:

Posted Image
(blacked out part is SSID)

I can't access the internet at all.

I've been Googling this problem, and there are many people on this board and others that have the same issue. However, the solution that is usually given doesn't work in my case. People say to uncheck the IEEE 802.1x box. However, not only is mine already unchecked, it's greyed out, like so:

Posted Image
Posted Image

My laptop has never had this problem before and easily connects to other wireless networks. This leads me to suspect the router settings, but since my tech skills are fairy limited I don't want to start blindly mucking around with them.

My laptop is running Windows XP. The router is a WildBlue. I have tried unplugging the router and plugging it back in.

Advertisements

Moon Slayer

Moon Slayer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My bad. The modem is a WildBlue. The router is a Linksys WRT54G2.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you sure the router is set up using WEP-PSK encryption? It sounds like it's set up using WPA-RADIUS due to the fact that your PC is trying to authenticate using a certificate. Has anyone been able to connect to this network wirelessly in the past? Are you able to access the router from a wired workstation?

smsacks

smsacks

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have exactly the same problem with one of my computers and a D-Link DIR-655 router that I just set up. All of my computers except one can connect with no problem, but the one I use for work keeps getting the certificate error and, even though it can connect despite the error, frequently disconnects (plus the popup is just annoying and gets in the way when I'm sharing my desktop doing work functions). My 802.1x box is unchecked and greyed out and I've verified that the router is set up for WPA-PSK. I've tried deleting and re-adding the connection, deleting all other wireless networks in the list; not sure what to try next....

gregrulez

gregrulez

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
this issue also occurs usually when you try to connect to a router that is using WPA2 on a computer that has not recieved the authentication update.

Have all windows updates be completed??

smsacks

smsacks

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm, there's a thought....the router is supposed to be Auto (WPA or WPA2) but I noticed that the computer I'm on now sees it as WPA2 and the one with the problem sees it as WPA. Since patching is provided by my employer on that machine (as opposed to Windows update on mine), it might be missing the necessary update. Do you know the number of the update so I can look for it?

gregrulez

gregrulez

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is the number of the update you require: KB893357

And you will find the microsoft page here.

Moon Slayer

Moon Slayer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Are you sure the router is set up using WEP-PSK encryption? It sounds like it's set up using WPA-RADIUS due to the fact that your PC is trying to authenticate using a certificate. Has anyone been able to connect to this network wirelessly in the past? Are you able to access the router from a wired workstation?

The router is most definatly not using RADIUS anything. Here's another screenshot to prove it:

Posted Image

Also, others that have this problem say they can still connect despite the error window. My laptop can not connect at all. Other laptops connect just fine. I used one to get this screenshot.

777seven777

777seven777

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Same here. If I shut my security down my laptop (running XP2) is able to connect to my network. Turn it back on and no go. If I unchecked IEEE 802.1 it will try to connect but with little or no connectivity. Then I go back to authentication tab and IEEE is checked again. Click the association tab and nework authentication field is not at wpa-psk anymore. I keep going in circles. This happened after I reinstall xp

Edited by 777seven777, 22 December 2009 - 07:21 PM.

smsacks

smsacks

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Installing Windows XP Hotfix KB917021 (replaces the 893357) and an updated driver for my wireless card, just to be safe, and changing my Authentication method to WPA2-PSK (which is now available after the hotfix) seems to have fixed my particular problem. Many thanks for the help!!!