Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with Linksys router.

• Please log in to reply

C22R9

C22R9

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
We have a Linksys router, and connected to it are my iPod Touch, 2 Desktops, and an Xbox 360.

Basically the 360 and iPod still connect fine, but the desktops will no longer connect to the network. They are both using PCI Adapters, and up until yesterday were working fine.

I went into the Linksys thing, and both PCs MAC addresses are on the list correctly, but when I look at the Active/Inactive list both PCs are listed as inactive or only active for a second or two.

On the computer that won't connect, it just connects for a second (and says connected to access point, but can't find the internet) and then disconnects the next.

Any ideas, I was trying to get rid of a virus but I can't do anything when I can't connect the the internet.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're trying to clean a virus on the machine that's having the issue (which is what you're suggesting you're doing) then you need to go to our malware forum to get the most accurate help with that. most of the tools used there can be downloaded on one machine and transferred to another

also if possible...for the duration of your malware cleanup you should try directly connecting the computer to the router via ethernet

Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..

C22R9

C22R9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thank you for your response. I already have a thread here regarding the malware issues, but in a sense this isnt related at all.

This has to do with a router on a completely different computer that I use that is having problems. Now none of the things listed in my original post will connect to the internet. They all recognize the router on and off, but never can connect to the internet.