Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash drive - installed but not there

• Please log in to reply

dermaptera

dermaptera

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I'm new here, and not very techie so excise my ignorance. I run an HP laptop with Vista. I have an old memory stick which works fine, and comes up as G drive. I now have a new Maxell Messenger 4 gb 2.0 flash drive. When I insert it, the system tray tells me it's being installed and ready to go. But there is no autoplay box, and what comes up in the control panel is F drive rather than G. And if I try to open it, or save something to it, it tells me to insert a device. Using another port doesn't help. I tried the Maxell site, and it offers a "driver download" but that's only for Windows 98. What can I do?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try it on another computer?

dermaptera

dermaptera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, I don't have another computer to try it on, or access to one.

Hanspuppa

Hanspuppa

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello dermaptera, Windows may assign any letter to a flash drive or external hard drive. This would be normal that one flash drive might be assigned one letter and another be assigned another letter.

I would insert the new flash drive in the USB slot and then open "Computer" in the menu, select the flash drive by finding the name of it (Maxell Messenger).

It may be assigned any drive letter. Once you find it, right click on the flash drive and choose "Format". Then select "Quick" and format the flash drive. Close out of the window.

You should then be able to copy and paste files to the flash drive.

Hope this helps.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

No, I don't have another computer to try it on, or access to one.

You don't know one single person, who has a computer? That's pretty odd.

dermaptera

dermaptera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, Hanspuppa, I'll try that.

Broni, for a retired person who lives alone and whose friends are all a bus ride away, it isn't odd that she doesn't have access to another computer.

dermaptera

dermaptera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hanspuppa, I've tried that but it just comes up that there's nothing there (in the F drive) to format!
Putting the flash drive in the port brings up the F drive (with my old one, it's the G drive). But then it doesn't recognise anything in the port.