Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed \windows\system32\config\system Fix, Need H

• Please log in to reply

spencermed

spencermed

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for helping me whoever does. I started up my PC (Gateway notebook) and it said:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I know this has been asked before, however, when I tried to fix it with a previous method it didn't work. I'm not that tech savvy and I need detailed help.

I don't have my recovery CD anymore and I tried what this other forum said to do:

If you don't have Windows CD...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow instructions from Step #3 above.

From this forum: http://www.geekstogo...pt-t242795.html

Then it went into a whole bunch of steps that I began to follow, however, when it came up with this blue screen:
Posted Image

I pressed 'r' then it said:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

I then press F3 and it takes me through the whole failed process again.

Maybe I didn't burn the CD the right way, but how else would I have gotten to this screen unless I did right?

Please, in a detailed way help me recover my computer, or if it is not possible help me get all my files off my desktop and documents, I have family photos and school work that I cannot lose. Thank you whoever helps me. I really need help.

-Richard

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

spencermed

spencermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Unfortunately, I think my hard drive may be made by Toshiba, but I'm unsure how do I make sure? And if this is the case how can I save my files off my hard drive and put it on my external hard drive (seagate)?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You have to turn laptop up side down, open hard drive bay (usually, one screw) and take a look.

spencermed

spencermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I checked and my hdd is a fujitsu, i tried all the diagnostic tools and they're .exe files, imageburn won't burn files with that extension. So what do I do now? Should I just manually extract my files and trash this comp or is there another thing I can try?

I dragged the .exe icon onto a blank cd and wrote it but that didn't work in my comp.

Edited by spencermed, 17 December 2009 - 11:58 PM.

spencermed

spencermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It's a gateway mx6912 notebook, by the way, i don't know if that'll help.

Edited by spencermed, 17 December 2009 - 11:59 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In that case, I'd remove the drive, then buy USB hard drive enclosure (~$20), hook it up to another working computer and test it there.

spencermed

spencermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'd thought I may have to do that. I think I may just copy my files and then never use that comp again. My family has other computers I'm using anyways, I'm saving to get a new one with Win7 anyways. The HDD should still be fine to copy files right? I've never hurt the computer I think I just manually screwed it up by deleting a file/driver.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

The HDD should still be fine to copy files right?

We won't know, until you try to access them.