Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with iastor.sys BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
The issue, btw, is very known Dell issue.

Advertisements

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i mean i have music, pictures, a lot of stuff. i've had the desktop, without incident for 5 years. i was going to purchase a new one after the new year and transfer over all the data. so I won't be able to use the recovery console?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Most likely not, because, it doesn't see your drive.
I'd say, your best option is to slave the drive in another computer, recover your data (there is nothing wrong with the drive itself) and use recovery CD to reinstall everything.

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay. THis may seem like a basic question, but would I be able to use the laptop as the master to slave it to ? Also, do you have a brief tutorial, like the one you provided for completing this? I'm shocked one missing driver could cause the whole OS to fail. This is so frustrating. I contemplated bringing it somewhere to be repaired as I was ready to pull my hair out, but then I wondered if they would lose my data, cost, etc.

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
or should I just pay someone to fix it? How much should that cost? I am ready to do what i need to in order to fix it on my own and if I can slave it to the laptop and someone can tell me how, I'd try that.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It's pretty crucial driver, part of hard drive controller driver, that's why, you have a problem to access the drive.
Before you try any shop (and they WILL charge you), I propose, you spend 20 bucks, or so and you buy hard drive enclosure.
I don't have any manual for it, because it's pretty self-explanatory, once you buy it.
You put desktop drive in (phillips screwdriver needed), connect data and power cables and you're ready to connect the enclosure to your laptop USB port.
Take the drive with you, when shopping for enclosure, so they can see, if you have IDE or SATA type of drive. Some enclosures come with two sets of cables, for IDE and SATA type of drives.

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
everything on the boot sequence refences SATA, should I still take it with me to be safe? Also, once I've moved everything, or at least what I care about over to the laptop, then what? Re-install windows? I am going to best buy to get the enclosure today and was wondering how I would proceed assuming that all goes well.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

should I still take it with me to be safe?

I would. It doesn't weight that much :)

Re-install windows?

Exactly.

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
got the enclosure, setting it up now. I have the recovery disk you helped me create. I don't have original xp discs, only my fiances vista disks. How do I start once all data is on laptop?

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
it seems I can't gain access to some folders, it says i don't have permission. I am trying to only copy over essential items but I keep getting pop ups saying I don't have permission. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I can't gain access to some folders, it says i don't have permission

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP: http://www.winxptuto...m/ownership.htm

I don't have original xp discs, only my fiances vista disks. How do I start once all data is on laptop?

Since you don't have any disks, your best option is to call Dell and get recovery CD from them. In most cases, you'll pay just shipping.

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
well im using the software it came with, and it got the program files folder backed up but the personal folders, what is in My Documents, I guess I'll try to take ownership of. Willl I not be able to repair xp once I hard drive back in through the recovery center?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not sure, what you mean by "recovery center"...

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The application I was able to access with the windows xp recovery disk. Also, any thoughts on the best way to get info back from laptop to desktop once it's windows issue is fixed? Thanks again for all your help, and getting me this far
A

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, you have to have recovery CD, so all files, including crucial iastor.sys file will be reinstalled. Without that file, you won't be able to see the drive.

To get files back - USB memory stick. You can get 8GB one for under $20.