Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with iastor.sys BSOD

• Please log in to reply

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
great. I'll try those now. I was just moving some programs back to the now rebuilt PC. I just tried disconneccting power to router, can't go direct to modem because its locked in the closet.

Advertisements

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
everytime I type in an address, I get an error message that says IE could not open search page

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
My bet would be, that you need to reset modem, but you can try those other steps as well.

Do one more thing...

1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
tried winsock fix and the two command entries, no luck. I typed your last reply into run and the response was "Ping request could not find host googl.com. Please check name and try again. Usually resetting the modem works, but since the locked the closet, cutting the power was the only way I could reset it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cutting power is even more sure way to reset modem, so you did well.
Try to reinstall network card driver.

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i hate to keep asking questions, but how would I begin to re-install that specific driver?

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
So I checked the device manager, and now I have yellow ?'s next to ethenet controller, multimedia audio, pci simple communications, and video controllers. Trying to reinstall drivers from the CD dell sent me, but it keeps saying it can't find them on disc and should access internet, which is obviously unavailible

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
This is really weird, because recovery CD should return your computer to its original state, means, no drivers should be missing. What is the exact name of that CD, they gave you?
You have to go to Dell's site, enter your computer service tag number and all your drivers should be there.
Download and install all drivers, which give you yellow question marks.

antconsig

antconsig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks. I had to install all the video, sound, and ehternet drivers. All appears to be working now, with the exception of my itunes songs missing their ratings and a few other minor issues, but overall it's much better than it's been. I can't thank you enough for your paitience and help during this process. It's truly remarkable and I would not have been where I am now, in total out of pocket 40 bucks, had it not been for your help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
Glad to help :)

Advertisements