Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

worm.win32.netsky - unable to start

• Please log in to reply

Raja G

Raja G

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My laptop is infected with worm.win32.netsky. I have gone through several Forum postings and I am unable to find a matching condition similar to mine.
When the loptap is turned on, I see a pop up screen message that says worm.win32.netsky detected and need to perform a full scan. After a few minutes, there is a pop window that says Unable to initiate Userinit Login Application. And then the desktop shows no icons or task bars. It is empty with the background picture.

I tried to start the laptop in safe mode. It starts and displays a series of files and stops. No icons, or task bar.

Can I re-install Window XP? If I do that, will I lose all the data files? Are there any other solutions?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, Raja G :)

Welcome.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Would the Task Manager launches? If it does, run Explorer.exe as a New Task. Are you able to see the icons afterward?

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried that. Task Manager is greyed out and not active.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Press the Windows key +r. Does the Run box launches?

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry, I don't understand what +r means.

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I found it! I will try and let you know.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Let me make sure.

It is the Windows key plus the R key on the keyboard.

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried and nothing happens.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
I would recommend a repair install instead of a clean install. With the Repair install, chances are you will not lose your documents. With a clean install, since it will require a reformat, your drive will be erased. A repair wont delete however the malware in your computer. Here are some instructions for the repair install:

http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm

If you select this option, once repaired you will need to go throughout our cleanup guide and post the reports requested.

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I appreciate your help. I will get back after I 'repair install'.

Advertisements

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Tried to repair install. It does not complete. It hangs in 'Installing Windows' step. The status window shows installing devices. 'Set up will complete in approx. 34 minutes' message appears even after 2 hours. Can I re-try?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
I will move this topic to the Windows XP forum and ask someone to assist you.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Set up will complete in approx. 34 minutes

It looks like hardware issue.
Read here: http://support.micro...kb/828267/en-us

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Avira AntiVir Rescue system from here. The downloaded file contain a CD burnibg tool. Use it to burn and create a bootable CD. Boot the computer with the new CD and run a complete test of your computer. Please note:

The built-in CD burning program will only work with "normal" CDs (not DVD)

The default language of the program is German. You can change it to English (two flags at the left bottom corner).

Before starting the test click "configuration" and chose the option that do not delete infected files. Instead, it will try to repair them or change their name, making them harmless.

If after the scan you can boot the computer, move to the malware forum for a complete malware cleanup (a link to the forum in my list below).

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I checked the log files and found this error - Set up encountered an error while trying to set systems security. An extended error has occured.

The error is in 'Symantec Network Security Miniport'.

Is there any way to skip this section and proceed? Or should I try Avira AntiVir Rescue system option?