Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Is

• Please log in to reply

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay so this is strange....
I have a Desktop that has not used a Ethernet connection in ages. I connect the cable, nothing happens.
The cable is good I have used for other computers. I have tried connecting it through my Linksys router, and my main modem, yet neither work for this Desktop. I had a guy work on my piece and i beleive he mentioned somthing that I would need a driver, he supposobly reformatted the computer and didn't add a ethernet driver or somthing...why in the world, i have no idea. So...Help please. *_*

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go :)

Lets hope for a second your driver is installed...

Click:
Start> Control panel> Network connections> locate the "icon" for your Ethernet, and make sure it is not disabled... if this doesn't work

Click on the "windows" button and Pause\break the same way you would CTRL-ALT-DEL.
Now click
on the Hardware Tab> Device Manager> Then scroll down to network connections
Do you see any ? marks or ! in red or yellow color? If so and they are located over your Ethernet "connection" then there is an issue with the driver, You may be able to "roll back" the driver, or it may say there is not one installed at which point follow the instructions below...

If you don't have the driver installed:
A. Find the Drivers CD your computer came with and install it.
B. If your computer is a name brand (Dell,Hp,etc...) go to their site and download the drivers...
1.Otherwise go to the manufacture of the motherboard in your computer...

If you don't have the CD and you can't find the site to download the drivers, or need help finding your manufacture of the mobo, write back and I will assist you further...

Good luck

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for welcome ^_^

Well I have toddles with my network connections an checked to see if it was abled..etc..
An my PC is a HP. An am sure the driver is "there". If i'm not mistaken the actual driver it's using is listed in the properties of the selected network connection. If that is correct I have a Intel/ blah blah . Just checking, I should go to the HP website and download the driver "intel...." Though since I cant connect to the internet on that specific computer. Is not drivers downlaod a copy right and you cannot transfer (copy past via flash drive) from one PC another?
I ask this cause I tried to download a driver of that name (Intel) before transfer through FD, from the Intel website, and I could not hit the "next" key during installation.

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright, so the issue has change but with simliarities. I have found a second ethernet port on my desktop, wish i remembered about ti before or even looked. So, now the light comes on signaling a connection. And it shows up on the networks saying the cable is pluged and the internet is connected.
I have had issues before with a internet saying it is connected but no internet access, all i did was reset my modem or unplug for a minute and back in it goes, internet works. Yet, with this it seems to not connect nomatter how long a unplug it or replug in many variations I have attempted to connect to my internet with no luck whatsoever. Any hints? ^&^
I would also like to add that I have 2 routers, 1 modem.
Motorola Modem
Linksys Wirless Broadband Router G 2.4 GHz 54 mbps
D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router
Saying this The desktop cannot connect directly to the liksys router using one of its external Ethernet ports. Though it can connect to the D-Link (haveing all of these connected together). Though the issue persist as above stated. So perhaps If i instal my Linksys wireless router's CD on my desktop this could work though I dont see how this could affect a direct ethernet connection. If anyone has any Light to angles this way, please do so 0#0
___

Edited by Sh0wM8, 17 December 2009 - 04:21 PM.

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well still no solution here and still need help with this, anyone?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Sorry I have been busy,

Right now I'm not feeling well and I can't sort this out in my head. I'm going to get a hold of one of my friends and see if he can make heads or tails of this...

Good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi guys. I'm not much on the network stuff but just some basic observations I noticed.

I have a Desktop that has not used a Ethernet connection in ages.

How have you been connecting to the internet on this system till now?

I had a guy work on my piece and i beleive he mentioned somthing that I would need a driver, he supposobly reformatted the computer and didn't add a ethernet driver or somthing

Let's see what is there and not there.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Hanspuppa

Hanspuppa

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I would also like to add that I have 2 routers, 1 modem.
Motorola Modem
Linksys Wirless Broadband Router G 2.4 GHz 54 mbps
D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router
Saying this The desktop cannot connect directly to the liksys router using one of its external Ethernet ports. Though it can connect to the D-Link (haveing all of these connected together). Though the issue persist as above stated. So perhaps If i instal my Linksys wireless router's CD on my desktop this could work though I dont see how this could affect a direct ethernet connection. If anyone has any Light to angles this way, please do so 0#0

Hello Sh0wM8, As a general rule, most routers don't like being connected to one another. They can be, but usually require some special settings. Firewalls come to mind here.

I am just courious why you need two routers. A better option would be a switch connected behind the router. This approach works great.

I have experienced a great deal of trouble trying to get two routers to work together, when Comcast installed a Modem/Router in one device and I tried to install a router and a switch behind this device. I never could get it to work.

The routers just fought each other. I requested Comcast replace the Modem/Router combo with an independent Cable Modem, connected my router and 48 port switch, and problem solved.

I had to adjust some port fowarding settings on the router, but that went normally.

Just some thoughts.

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It shows a question mark next to ethernet controller under unknown devices

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then the drivers for it need to be installed. Is it a onboard ethernet or a addon card?

Advertisements

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Its inside the dekstop so id assume its a onboard, wish it could work >.<

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Inside is not clear enough.
Is the ethernet connection in a slot or is it by the USB, Keyboard and mouse connectors?

We need to find out what Ethernet it is and to do this we need to know what the motherboard is. The only way to do that is to know if this is a name brand system and then what make and model.
The other way is to open the system up and look for the motherboard model number.
Last option is for you to download the following program and transfer it to the system to run it.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 January 2010 - 01:54 PM.

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i had issue puting the image in here so there are two text files with the info, thanks for taking the time to help me out

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK sorry this is so drawn out but the report didn't give e the info I need.
I know you said your system is a HP but which model is it?

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
HP Pavillion 7955, thats what is says on the tower. not sure if there is another more specific way to tell.