Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Is

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Aha maybe finally some luck. Go HERE scroll down till you find your Os and download the corresponding driver. Xp one would be called ProXP

Advertisements

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright , that was new it recognized the drivers and said good successful. Only thing is now i can't get my light to turn on , meaning my computer could not connect to the internet.
on network connections is says which driver was installed. which was the ProXP.
I did not yet try to restart my PC mainly because it did not advise me to after installation.
Once again it did install which when i tried using the intel site before attempting to find my ethernet driver i failed misserably but it looks almost like the one i tried anyways thats not important information.
Any thoughts?

I also did not install the SNMP, would this be needed?

Edited by Sh0wM8, 13 January 2010 - 09:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Restart and let me know what happens please

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Same thing. Says cable is unpluged or firewalled, and no light is on computer or the router

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No light on the computer or are you saying the network card?

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The ethernet port, the light that lights up when the ethernet cable is in . thats not lighting up. i havn't opened up the tower to look inside ro anything

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would answer for the error message then. You do have XP on that system right? If not then I may have had you get the wrong diver

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 January 2010 - 04:27 AM.

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Windows XP Proffesional Service pack 2

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey brother, im going to ask you to hold for a minute on searchin up for me...I have aught to believe someoen jacked my card...Ill let you know here in a minute or so when i get this tower opened up .

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure how someone could jack your card unless you are saying it is damaged. The card should be soldered to the motherboard.
I would have to say the issue is probably a faulty card at this point. Resolution is a add on network card which depending on the make could be a slow as 10.00 USD from TigerDirect

Advertisements

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well it was suspision i had from the last guy who worked on the computer 2 years ago came back telling me my ethernet was not going to work anymore. It's a D-link , which is attached to the motherboard. I just found it stronge it came back not working? thats why i had thought it could be possible with now having certain issues and first time wanting to use ethernet, usually i use a wireless for this desktop, but it doesn't want to keep the internet up...strange and lil weird to explain...So none the less i wanted ethernet to make it work. But your oppinion, a new network card?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes a new ethernet card is needed and warranted in your case.
Normal error would be no connection detected or no adapter detected.
Your messages:

Says cable is unpluged or firewalled, and no light is on computer or the router

Fits right in to the normal indications of a failed adapter.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 January 2010 - 09:34 AM.

Sh0wM8

Sh0wM8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Cool deal really appreciate your time and effort in all to helping me figure this out. I truely appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and let me know if I can answer anymore question. Please let us know how it turns out or if you need assistance with installing a new card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Installing the entwork card.. Is there a certain one that would be made for certain PC's? Or does it matter? Other is
I was trying to look online on how to install it, i dont have a static wristband for the componet protection...etc hope i'm not bothering you too much ^^
I should post something singlular on the forum but since you have been helping me i figured to ask you. Hope thats okay

Really it is a personal preference and what you can afford. I myself prefer gigabyte or 3com. Static band is not needed as long as you ground yourself before touching anything inside of the case.
Assistance is not allowed in pm's so I copied your message here to answer you.