Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What version should i buy?

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey there here again with a cuple questions for ya guys. ive been doing my research anout this problem that still happening to me, when i play games online for too long like warcraft III my internet connection happens to disconnect for a minute and then the connection comes back so i was reading about usb wireless cards and everything and i found out that this AR5005GS - AR AtheRos 5005 the version of the chip pls GS known as Super G so i was wonder if u guys can tell me what kind of atheros card should i get to get the most out of my internet connection :) like it says here : http://www.super-g.com/faqs.html

i think thats the chipset, [bleep]! idk which one is the usb i just need like a USB the most used plus high signal so i wont get disconnected from the internet.

ThX.! :)

Edited by brady1988, 17 December 2009 - 06:34 AM.

Advertisements

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
maybe one of these ones : http://shop.ebay.com...a...s&_osacat=0

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Is this machine a laptop or desktop?

Why only the USB options if it's a desktop?

If it's a laptop does it have antennas installed in it and just not the card?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would scrap it all and replace your wireless with 802.11n devices. Among other reasons, it is much more secure.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well it's a laptop dell inspron B130 an old laptop so there is no USB or something like that to plug it in like a wireless adapter for internet right?

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
According do Dell, the B130 has 3 USb 2.0 Ports on the left hand side.

With that being said, you would be able to use a USB adapter.

This link should take you to a list of available USB wireless adapters at newegg with WPA2 security option, USB 2.0 interface, and sorted by Best Rated.

Any of these should fit your needs. It's just going to depend on how deep your pockets are. :)

Hope this helps,

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
is there any atheros usb adapter? cus i really need a powerful one like atheros.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have been unable to find any USB wireless adapters that are using an Atheros Chip. Most of them are using the RaLink chip which has also shown to have a pretty good range to them. But as you are looking for an Atheros chip specifically, I found this PCMCIA card by D-Link on Newegg.

I hope this helps you in your search.