Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My COMPAQ WIN 95 Laptop missing Command.com

• Please log in to reply

dageekster

dageekster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
My laptop will not boot up to WIN95. It says, No Command.com file found. Also, there are other essential files that are missing as well. As a result, I have no command prompt. I can't do DIR, CLS, CD or other basic DOS type commands that should be automatic. (Since this, I have come to know better.)
I have even gone to www.bootdisk.com and downloaded the WIN95 bootdisk. When I uploaded it, (at least the floppy drive was recognized, but not the CD-ROM drive), it tried to load the disk, but still the command.com and himem.sys was missing. I could not even do a SYS C: command like I understood would help to load it. I have run out of ideas. Can you help me, please?

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Boot your laptop from the wind95 boot floppy that you downloaded from bootdisk.com.

When you get to the A: Prompt you can then try "sys c:" ( without the quotes ). If that does not work you can also try just copying the files to the hard drive.

From the A: Prompt type:
  • copy command.com c:
  • copy io.sys c:
  • copy msdos.sys c:

If you have problems with any of these, it is very possible that you have another problem such as a defective hard drive, or a defective floppy drive in the laptop.

Hope this helps,